Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752606 Members
4935 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ports Down on One Module

Bertha Padilla

Ports Down on One Module

Several ports - connecting several servers went down over the weekend. They are all on one module, but not in sequence. Servers start communicating once we move them to a different port on the g4108gl switch. The ports still have green lights, but are not functioning. Any ideas on what could have caused the port? Is there any way to reset individual ports on a module? Is there a way to test to see if this module is going bad?
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Here are the usual questions:

1) I take it that you're refering to a 4100gl switch? What's your firmware version?

2) Oxidation. Were any of the RJ45 oxidized? I have over 10,000 nodes and I have seen plenty of oxidized RJ45 connectors

There is no way (that I know of) to reset just 1 port although pulling a card out (hot) and reinserting it will reset that card.

Do you have a syslog or trap receiver receiving logs/traps? Is there any telltale sign in the logs that may point to a smoking gun?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Bertha Padilla

My firmware is G.07.21. We tried several different cables. The ports are coming up now but they come up at 10Full-plex instead on 100Full-plex which it is set to on both the port management and on the PC.

Question, do you know how HP's lifetime warrantee works. If this module is going bad, does their warrantee replace it?
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Do you want to try G.07.50? There's some bugfixes.

If that doesn't work, call HP and get the card replaced. I have had cards where there is only 1 port faulty, the other 7 ports work. Although the card's self test upon start up should have detected it.

Did you try plugging something else, say a laptop into the port that seems to be faulty? And then using the same laptop + network cable and plug it into another port that isn't faulty?

If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

You should definitely install G.07.50 on all your 4108GL switches. Yes, HP will replace your module. I also had this problem with RJ-45 modules disconnecting over the weekend. Check "Software fixes", page 8, in the attached .pdf if you still hesitate to install G.07.50.