Re: Prevent mac/ip spoofing using 2824

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arno L
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Well, I think ip lockdown could help.
Our primary goal is not to make sure that everyone can only use one computer.
If "IP Address x", which belongs to user Y, is doing something illegal, we must be able to make sure that it really was Y.
At the moment person Z could steal Y's IP and mac address, and we wouldn't even notice.

Using mac lockdown + arpwatch on the gateway or IP Lockdown we could at least bind the ip address to the correct floor.

The only problem with ip security is that we would lose many spare ip addresses. We don't do any NAT here, but each user has his own static, public ip address. And I don't really like to throw away too many public ip addresses just because of "ip lockdown".
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Arno, you need the 802.1x with RADIUS, its designed for these cases of security.
Anyway
For ip-lockdown, use a /28 for 14 ip addresses as max (or /27 for 30 addresses) so you don;t really lose ip addresses here.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Arno L
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

thank's for the reply. I'll reconsider how to split our subnet for ip-lockdown next week, as I don't have any time for this at the moment.

I know, that a radius server probably would be best, but I'm a complete fan of "KISS"...

And a radius server needs more maintenance than IP-Lockdown...

Arno