Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753622 Members
5701 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve 2424M Setup Questions

mdodd

ProCurve 2424M Setup Questions

Hey guys- pardon my inexperience, but I'm fairly new to managed switches. I'm trying to setup two HP ProCurve 2424M switches in a network. I currently have one in use, hooked up to a box running the Untangle router software. The switch in use works fine, and I have it configured to my liking.

The problem lays when I try to add another managed switch to the network. I have another ProCurve 2424M which I'd like to add, but everytime I plug it into the switch (the in use 2424M), it doesn't do anything. I've also tried plugging in a 3Com LinkSwitch 1000 and it does the same thing. I'm sure there are no hardware problems as Self Tests have passed and individually, I don't have an issue- I can add computers to the switch and transfer data fine.

I have both routers set to manually obtain an IP address, I've tinkered with automatic DHCP lease, resetting to default settings and more. Can someone help me get another 2424M on the network? Thanks in advance!!
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Joebstl
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
"it doesn't do anything" is a rather vague description, do you get no link, no ip address...?

If you even dont get a link you're using the wrong cables. The 2424 and your other 3com stuff is so ancient it doesnt support auto-MDIX - you have to use a crossover cable when connecting any of these devices with each other.

Regards,
Thomas
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

You probably just need a crossover cable; that would fit the symptoms.

Failing that, use an intermediate system with manual or automatic crossover (MDI/MDI-X or Auto-MDIX).

When troubleshooting switches, it's useful to start at the bottom layer and work up. If you can't get the link light green, it's not worth worrying about IP layer issues.
mdodd

Hey guys, thanks for the response. I indeed have no link lights on either managed switches. I could try adding a auto-sensing switch in between the two but I have already tried using a crossover cable, to various ports with no luck. Do you guys have any idea, on say, just the 2424M to 2424M how to hook them together using the crossover cable? Lets start with that.

Thanks again!
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

If with two 2424M switches and a crossover cable you got nothing, I would assume one of the three things was faulty. Other than that, I can't think what it could be.