Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748045 Members
4814 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve 2524

Vince Byron

ProCurve 2524

I have lost the ability to manage two of my ProCurve 2524's. I can't telnet or HTTP using the IP addresses. I also can't communicate via the console (serial connection). Any thoughts?

We have experienced some extended power problems recently. This may or may not be related.

Other than that they are working fine.

7 REPLIES 7
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

How about a hardware reset (restore to factory default) ?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi vince,

Can you ping the switch? Did you dissable telnet/web? Have you tried another console program like "Tera Term Pro" checke the console settings (9600,8,n,1,none)? I know there are some problems with Hyperterminal.

If you get console connection and telnet/web are enabled I'd suggest to reflash the firmware with xModem the powerproblems could be a cause of your problems. If still no access call HP support. (But don't tell Support about the Powerproblems, that does void your warranty, see warranty statement)

Kind regards,

SCOOTER
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

well, most procurve switches have indeed a know issue with their console ports. After a unspecified time they just lock up and wont communicate anymore. The only way to get them back is a reset (frontpanel button) or a power loss......

In your case i would indeed check the Firmware versions and upgrade to the latest. Also, the description (cant communicate) does not help a lot, can you ping the units? It could be some other networking issue indeed. That of course is not true for the serial ports, they should always work - see above.

GG
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......
Vince Byron

Thanks for the fast response.

I can not ping either switch. telnet/web is not disabled and I double checked the settings. I was using hyperterminal, get Tera Term Pro and try that.

If all else fails I'll try the reset.

Thanks again!
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

looks like you've not tried resetting the switches yet. i have a feeling that resetting the switches will fix your problem. do check that you're running the latest version of the firmware.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Vince Byron

I reset the switch and was able to get on the console. All of the switch settings are as they should be.

I was able to telnet into the switch for a short time after the reset. Within an hour, I couldn't ping, telnet or HTTP the switch.

Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Hi.
As HP tell, when you have trouble, at all time you shoud put the latest firmware in you switch. That solve most of problem encontred!

I already had problem like this, and putting latest software make the switch running good.

If you still have problem, call HP for replacment or other trouble shoot.

Marc