1752843 Members
3617 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve 2650 Issue?

Matt Georgetti
Advisor

ProCurve 2650 Issue?

I work at a K-12 school district. Recently, we have added a Preschool room. There are four computers that the students use... they are all the same make, model, etc. All are running XP SP2. While they are not part of the domain, they are, in theory, supposed to be Internet accessible. Two of the four work just like they should. The other two show that no network connection can be found. On both the NICs on the computers and the port status lights on the 2650 switch are steadily blinking. Is this some kind of configuration issue on either the switch's or computers' end or should I start looking at the cables in between them? Thanks in advance for all of your help.
4 REPLIES 4
RicN
Valued Contributor

Do you know if there is any configuration on the 2650-switch, like 802.1x or similar?
Matt Georgetti
Advisor

As far as I know, the only thing the switch is configured to do is to be part of a VLAN. But the thing is, the other two computers work just fine. To my understanding, 802.1x is an authentication protocol so the other two computers would be having that problem as well. I would also like to add that I switched ports on the switch only to find that i get the same result.
RicN
Valued Contributor

What do you see if you do a "show interface a10" (or which port the attached error-computers are attached to)? Does the link go up on the switch?

Can it be a Layer 3 problem? Do you know if the two computers have ip addresses? Should they recieve through dhcp or static? Is there free addresses in the dhcp range? Could you for example "ping" the ip address of the switch from one of the computers not reaching internet?
Matt Georgetti
Advisor

I figured it out. Whoever punched down the ports in the classroom did a lousy job. In my past experience though, a problem like that would mean no lights at all. Thanks for everyone's help... it is well appreciated.