New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve 2848 - monitoring broadcast

SOLVED
Go to solution
Piotr Kirklewski
Super Advisor

ProCurve 2848 - monitoring broadcast

Hi there

I'm having problems with my network recently.
Some users loose the connection and the switch activity LEDs are blinking as crazy. This make me think that that's because of an excessive broadcast but I'm not sure how to measure it.

Also how do I enable the Web UI - I have only the CLI access for now.

Regards

Peter
Jesus is the King
7 REPLIES 7
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

How many switches do you have and are they all procurve?
If you look at a switch log it should show you what ports were transmitting excessive broadcasts. Excess broadcasts could be caused by many things, a mis-behaving host or a network loop for example.
You can check the number of broadcasts a port is sending using the "show interface x" command but the web interfaces is better for seeing all the interfaces at the same time.
A "show int port" will show you the number of packets/sec a port is sending/receiving.
The issue with that is that if it's a significant broadcast storm then you may not even be able to access the switch to run any commands.
The command "web-management" turns on the web interface but it should be enabled by default.
Create a certificate with the "crypto host-cert generate" and use can set "web-management ssl" and use https access.
Lemmy Kilmister
Occasional Advisor

this sounds like a broadcast storm to me.

You might want to have physical access to the switch to troubleshoot as it might be up/down connecting via your lan.

It might not be that easy to figure out where the loop is occuring since you'll likely see massive traffic/drops on all your ports. Easy way on a small network is to disconnect your user connections one by one until the storm stops.

you should configure storm control on your ports or STP.
psycho.chicken
Regular Advisor

You have spanning tree enabled correct?
Piotr Kirklewski
Super Advisor

Hi again

So I turned on the web management and I must say that this is very helpful.

The only problem I have is that the dates of events in thte "Status" tab are incorect (they show january). Which is strange considering that when I do :
configure >> time i get a proper value:

csw002bri(config)# time
Thu Apr 1 18:07:04 2010

How to change it please ?

Jesus is the King
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Are you sure they are not just events from January? :)
Piotr Kirklewski
Super Advisor

That would be very strange considering that there is a lot going on on this switch - I will double check it though.
Jesus is the King
brakerm19
Occasional Advisor

consider configuring sntp to sync your time to fix the times of your future log files.

config# clock timezone gmt
config# sntp server
config# sntp unicast
config# timesync sntp