1753946 Members
8598 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProCurve 4000 and 2650 linking

Mark Jones_1
Advisor

ProCurve 4000 and 2650 linking

We currently have a couple of ProCurve 4000 switches that have four Gigabit-SX modules in them, three for connecting servers and one for a switch-to-switch link. This has been working fine for over a year now.

We recently added a 2650 switch with two Gigabit-SX modules and took one of the 10/100Base-T modules from one of the 4000's to add an extra Gigabit-SX module. The 2650 was then connected to the 4000 via the SX port and the second port on the 2650 was used for a new server.

Now, the module was initially seen in the 4000 (both lights were on) and so we rebooted for it to take effect. After the reboot, the web interface recognised the module but no lights were on. The server connected to the 2650 could ping the switch okay, but nowhere else on the network.

So basically, the fibre link between the two switches was not working. I have tried the new server in both 2650 fibre ports and this works okayt so I know its not a module problem. I have added a tempory link between a 10/100 port on the 4000 and the 2650 and this works fine - the all servers can now communicate between each other (although this is over 100Base-T rather than fibre.

Does anybody know why the fibre port is not bein seen as connected between the two switches?

I can provide any further information that anybody would need to please help me!
3 REPLIES 3
James Henry_3
Occasional Advisor

Re: ProCurve 4000 and 2650 linking

Try seting speed and duplex on ports.
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Do you have dual power supplies in the 4000m? I seem to recall that if you have more than a certain number of the 4-port 100FX cards, two power supplies were required. I don't know if there is a similar requirement for multiple Gigabit-SX cards. You might try removing one Gigabit card from the 4000 (so you're back down to your original number) and see if the new module works then. If so, then I'd maybe think it was a power problem.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

What version of code are you running on the 4000? C.09.16 is the latest. http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm

Are you doing tagging on the link?

Ron