108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProCurve 5304 VLAN and IP Routing Help

SOLVED
Go to solution
KC_16
Occasional Contributor

ProCurve 5304 VLAN and IP Routing Help

I have a 5304 with 2 fiber modules and and an ethernet port active. The Ethernet port connects to a larger switch that connects a LAN/Building. The 1st fiber port connects to a larger switch for another LAN/Building. The 2nd fiber port is connected back to our Central Office where we get our Internet connectivity via a router. What I want to do is have each of the two buildings on their own class "c" subnet and I want both of those subnets to route through the 5304 switch back to our central office location for Internet connectivity. I'm somewhat familiar with configuring VLANS on the switch but I'm having trouble figuring out how to assign IP addresses for the class "c" subnets assigned to each of the 3 ports and how to configure the routing to go back to our central location. In the manuals I can't seem to find the command to assign a class "c" address to a VLAN. I also can't find documentation that tells me the exact syntax. I know it's something like
ip address 10.32.1.1/24
but I can't find out what the /24 is for.
And when I try to assign an address it keeps saying it already exists and I know the addresses I've tried are not being used.
If it helps, the fiber connection coming back to our central office connects to another 5304 switch. I hope someone can help, my eyes are crossing from reading through the manuals the past 2 hours.
2 REPLIES 2
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: ProCurve 5304 VLAN and IP Routing Help

Hello KC -

Regarding how to assign an IP address to a VLAN, please see the configuration example at http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/config_examples/5300xl_portbase.pdf .

The "/24" specifies the number of "1" bits in the subnet mask.

Regards,
Ralph
KC_16
Occasional Contributor

Re: ProCurve 5304 VLAN and IP Routing Help

Ralph,
Thanks so much for that link. I now have a much better understanding of how things work. I have two questions that should allow me to finish setting up the switch.
1. Our subnet is 255.255.255.0 so if I assign the adress of 10.32.1.1/24 will that be ok? Is there a CLI command that allows me to assign that subnet to the VLAN?
2. I set the desktops on the VLAN to have a gateway which corresponds to the address I set for the VLAN when I created it. Once the data gets to that port how does it know where it should go next. In our config the data comes to port2 on switch1 from the VLAN and then needs to go out of port1 on switch1 back to our central office where a router with it's own address resides. Do I need to create an IP forwarding setup in the switch or does it automatically know/learn/get the gateway of our primary router from the IP configuration of the switch itself?