108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProCurve 5308XL - Problem browsing into via IE

Mike Kirton
Occasional Contributor

ProCurve 5308XL - Problem browsing into via IE

HP ProCurve 5308XL
Firmware revision: E.07.21

I am unable to browse into the switch using IE6 (fully patched). When I attempt to do so I can no longer ping the switch but it does apparently continue to perform switching. No apparent problems other than I cannot ping it, telnet into it, etc. It has been a while since I had to look at this switch but I know I used to be able to browse into it without this problem. I'm wondering if some of the recent IE critical updates are causing this problem?

Thanks,
Mike
6 REPLIES 6
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: ProCurve 5308XL - Problem browsing into via IE

I'd go back in using the serial port and look to see if you have set an Authorized IP Manager address. That's what it sounds like to me. Have you perhaps changed IP addresses since you last logged in via the browser? That would explain the problem. You are coming from a different IP address and that is considered an attempt to hack the switch so it stops talking to you.

show ip authorized_managers

See chapter 10 in
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59906052.pdf

Ron
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Another thought: the management module on the 5308 hung. Rebooting would fix the problem if that was the case. Also, would recommend that you move up to the latest (version 8) firmware.

The switching processes in the 5308 seems to have a much higher priority than the management processes (telnet, web, snmp, etc) so while the switch continue to switch correctly, attempting to telnet/web/snmp it would fail.

If you did a console connect, what is the cpu utilization?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Mike Kirton
Occasional Contributor

The Network Monitoring Port setting is set to NO and there is no IP Authorized Manager configured.

Thanks,
Mike
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Check the logs and see if there is something there.

Ron
Wayne Fussell
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike,

you'll find that this issue is fixed from firmware revision E.07.22. The problem is Java 1.3.x or 1.4.x causes the CPU to go to 99% which seems to cause all management functionality to crash although the switch still passes packets. The management does seem to come back after 10-15mins. I see this on 4108GL's that are not patched up to the required level. The 5308XL's that we have fully patched don't have this problem.

The latest firmware for the 5308XL is E.08.30. You can get it here....

http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/j4865753.htm
In THIS house we obey the laws of thermodynamics - H. Simpson
Mike Kirton
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

Mike