5833 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProCurve 5308xl

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ashley Wright

ProCurve 5308xl

I need help on how to add a private subnet between two servers based at different sites.
The servers are already on different subnets - 192.168.0.x and 192.168.16.x - and communicate perfectly well, but a server replication app. needs to run on a separate subnet. The software producer suggests using 9.0.0.1 and 9.0.0.2 as ip's on either end.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Our current config, from 192.168.16.x end is attached.
Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things - Jack Burton
7 REPLIES 7
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: ProCurve 5308xl

Hi

I have read the configuration and apparently you have multiple vlans with different IP addresses , and IP routing is enabled.

So its simple now, you just creat one more vlan with the IP address that replication application suggested, on both sides, then add ths vlan as tagged on the port that connects these 2 switches.

SW1(config)# Vlan 9 ip address 9.0.0.1/24
SW1(config)# Vlan 9 tag Hx - where Hx is port connects both routing switches.

SW2(config)# Vlan 9 ip address 9.0.0.2/24
SW2(config)# Vlan 9 tag Hx - where Hx is port connects both routing switches.

Now both servers can communicate with this new Vlan and with each other as well.

I hope this is what exactly you need as i understood from your question and the config.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Ashley Wright

I have tried adding the new VLAN, but it does not appear to work.
One server is on 9.0.0.1, and the other is 9.0.0.2.
There is a WAN link between the two servers, vlan 3 on both switches, using 10.0.0.1/30 and 10.0.0.2/30.

I have attached the config from both switches, with the changes suggested (I hope).
Any other suggestions/instuctions would be gratefully received.
Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things - Jack Burton
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Assuming that your WAN connection is bridging, you need to first fix the VLAN ID's for your new VLAN. On one switch you have VLAN-ID 4, and the other VLAN-ID 5. They both need to match.

Next you need to add an untagged port into each one of those VLANs, this is the port the servers will connect to.

Ashley Wright

I have tried the last suggestion, but no joy. The WAN link between the two offices is a BT LES10 service using their devices connected to the switches. I can ping across the WAN on the procurve from 10.0.0.1 to/from 10.0.0.2 with no problem, but cannot do the same with 9.0.0.1/9.0.0.2
I am also getting ip conflicts when the servers are set to 9.0.0.1/9.0.0.2 which I didn't get before untagging the ports.
Have I missed something?
Should I have 'ip rip' under vlan 5?
Current config from both switches is attached.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your servers will need to have different IP addresses to those of the switches, e.g, set the servers to 9.0.0.3 and 9.0.0.4. Is there any reason you changed it to a much smaller subnet mask?

You will also need to add ports H24 and D23 back as tagged ports again in addition to the new untagged ports which your servers are connected to.

There should be no need to add VLAN5 to your rip configuration as by default it will redistribute connected VLANs.

I've attached the configs as I think they should be.
Ashley Wright

Matt, you are a hero. The routing works perfectly now, thank you.
My reason for changing the subnet mask is security. Nothing else
Ashley Wright

Solution 'handed on a plate' to me by Matt Hobbs.