cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProCurve 9304m Not Functional?

Jon Dickenson
Occasional Visitor

ProCurve 9304m Not Functional?

I've got a ProCurve Routing Switch 9304m that I think might have been damamged by a power surge or something. Ive configured the console terminal to 9600 8-N-1 with no flow control as per the manual but get nothing from the router. All activity and power lights are green. This router is no longer part of our network so I can't use the web management. Are there any further diagnostics I can do or am I missing something? TIA
4 REPLIES
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Re: ProCurve 9304m Not Functional?

Whatever you do, just don't tell HP phone support you think it was a power surge or anything like that

Just call, say its not working, and they'll replace it.

They got all huffy when we told them an access point wasnt working and jokingly said it must have been the strange weather lately, heh heh.

Jon Dickenson
Occasional Visitor

Unfortunately it's ny understanding from the warranty page that ProCurve routing switches only carry a one year warranty as opposed to the lifetime warranty on other ProCurve equipment. Is this not true?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jon,

What kind of console cable are you using to connect to the 9304m? I know that many have made the mistake to use the wrong cable.

What blades do you have? If you have more take them all exccept for management out and try to connect, one blade could cause a shortcircuit, try also different slots.

These boxes have indeed only 1 year warranty and a power-surge is not covered by this.

@Preston, remeber that HP-Procurve techs are checking these forums...
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

RE: HP Techs

Yes, and? How could anyone but a qualified electrician or engineer deduce that the exact cause of the failure has been a surge of power to the device?

As a busy network technician, I understand that we take measures to ensure that these kinds of events do not happen. But when a device fails to power on, I do not have the knowledge to deduce the exact cuase of the failure.

The only thing I know is that it has failed.

Is there something wrong with that?

With regard to my original comment, I did not mean to say that we were "trying to hide" anything, or that we screwed HP by skating the replacement policy - The AP in question wasnt even plugged in ethernet or power or otherwise and it simply failed to work on Monday morning. So my joking "it must be the strange weather" comment was just that- just chit-chat.

At any rate: Jon, you're right -

Except 9300m and 9400sl series routing switches, 8100fl series Interconnect Fabric switches, and 700wl series access devices, which provide a 1 year limited warranty.

:( Too bad!