New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve Firewall

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniyarik
Occasional Contributor

ProCurve Firewall

Hello everyone.

I have a question: what is the best static Firewall? May be its Cisco PIX or anything else? And what about ProCurve Secure Router Stateful Firewall?
I have non-ProCurve network devices, and I think to use ProCurve SR Firewall to ensure secure access to Internet. Is it right decision or not?
All opinion will be appreciated.
Thank in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Depending on your needs, great choice. If your Internet connection is below 100MBit, nothing better for the price.
Lifetime warranty and free software updates = great ROI.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I would really recommend Juniper for Security stuff rather than Cisco or any other vendor.

Their robust and heavy duty products proved along the years that they are the best i nthe market.

have a look on their firewalls:
http://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/firewall_slash_ipsec_vpn/index.html

For me, i won't compare ONLY the free life time warranty if i have to sacrifice with something more important to any network like Services, high availability, flexibility and SO my Return on Investment will be much higher if i considered that.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Daniyarik
Occasional Contributor

Olaf and Mohieddin, thank you for your answers.

But I am steel confuse about ProCurve Secure Router Firewall. Can I be ensure when using it as Firewall, that my internal network is in a "good" security hands?

No doubt, Juniper Firewall - very good solution. But Is it mean that ProCurve Stateful Firewall solution is not desirable because Firewall not primary and main trend of HP ProCurve Team. And it may be some problem and vulnerability when using it.

It will be very helpful, not only for me, if anybody (may be from HP) tell about successful using of ProCurve Firewall. And, of course, about its weak places.

Any opinion?
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Stateful firewalls can protect your network from 60% of the outside attacks, and can be used to NAT some public IPs to inside (mapping) in order to be accessed from outside and it can do other stuff but not over L4.

If you are talking about Secure Network, then you must Mean up to Layer7, and that can't be provided by a normal firewall.

Firewall can't block intrusion attacks or Trojans ..., can't filter your traffic and look deeply inside the packet ....

With the firewall you need an Intrusion detection and prevention device to help the firewall protect your network, and still you you are not safe from Viruses and other kind of attacks.

With the new firewalls, you can get an integrated Firewall with Intrusion prevention, Anti-Virus, web-filter, anti-spam ...
All in one box with affordable prices, in Cisco they have the ASA, and in Juniper they have the SSG, in Fortinet they have the Fortigate ....

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Tim Brandstetter

Hi

my costumers has good experience with vantronix, a network security company in Germany, sells security appliances based on HP├В┬┤s ProLiant Hardware and you can find a Firewall Blade for the HP ProCurve 5300xl Switch. Vantronix Firewall use OpenBSD pf packet filter.

http://www.vantronix.com/products/vtfw/xl1/

Regards
Tim
Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

The .vantronix firewall is now available as an application for the ProCurve ONE Services Module. That allows you to have the .vantronix firewall running within the 5400 or 8200 ProCurve chassis-based switches.

Refer to http://www.procurve.com/one/ and http://www.procurve.com/one/alliance/vantronix/vantronix.htm
MullT
Frequent Advisor

Is there any review of that vantronix firewall which compares it with other solutions?