1748230 Members
4186 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve Mgmt Plus 1.6 not downloading new firmware

Vince Butler
Advisor

ProCurve Mgmt Plus 1.6 not downloading new firmware

I recently noticed on HP's website that firmware version E_09_22 is available for the 5300xl series switches. I went into ProCurve Manager Plus to update my switches, but it showed E_09_06 as the most recent version. I tried forcing a download using the "Download Now!" button (which was successfull) but it will not update with the new versions. I even tried manually copying the new formware into the download folder, but the program still won;t recognize it. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

We are going through a proxy, but I disabled it in the settings and poked a hole in the firewall for the PNM server but I get the same result...
6 REPLIES 6
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

IKWYM
When you do a download now, it starts by downloading the file procurve_firmware.prp to your download folder. If you look inside that file, you will see that HP does not update it as frequently as they do the swi files. The only way to override it is to modify that file so that PCM+ will make use of newer swi files. IMHO, it is not a very user friendly way to have to do it. If you have lots of switches to update, it may be worth it but I choose not to bother.

I only have 8 switches to upgrade so I just copy the swi file into the download folder and and telnet to them and invoke the command:
copy tftp flash 10.20.30.40 E_09_22.swi primary

I would like to hear again, HP's explanation. I opened an incident once on this but did not get a good reason why HP doesn't publish every version in the prp file. I'm supposed to get news of the PCM 2 beta next week, so if I get the chance, I will ask the beta team about this.
Vince Butler
Advisor

Thanks Les, I appreciate you looking into it. We have 85 ProCurve switches of various models around the school district, with about 20 more getting added over the summer. The main reason we purchased this product was so we could keep these switches up-to-date in a timely (and automated) manner. It seems like it would be a simple thing to post a new version of that file at the same time the firmware is posted.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Since you have way more switches than I do, perhaps you can carry more weight with HP. I suggest you open an incident with them and see if you can get further than I did. Having to hand edit the file to support a wide variety of switches is not an acceptable solution and nor is telnetting to them all. Let me know how you make out with HP support.
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

Hello,

I checked with HP resources and next week the file will be posted on the website.

Hopefully it helps.

Bjorn Tore Paulen
Frequent Advisor

This has annoyed me for some time. I have approx 300 switches, 53xx, 26xx and 25xx. Suppose I'd have even more weight.. ;-) I use an excpect script to do this - don't trust the PCM; seems so full of bugs.
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

PCM2 beta eh...how would one be able to get in on that? Would be nice to get some more use out of PCM+