4915 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProCurve Switch 2626-PWR and Cisco IP-Phone 79xx

Timur Karimov
Occasional Contributor

ProCurve Switch 2626-PWR and Cisco IP-Phone 79xx

Can anybody answer on my question:
Cisco "pre-standard Power over Ethernet (PoE)" used in cisco switch and cisco ip-phones and IEEE802.3af used in Procurve 26xxPWR can work propertly in on site? can i connect cisco ip-phone 7940G on a port from 2626PWR for gain PoE advantage ?
3 REPLIES 3
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ProCurve Switch 2626-PWR and Cisco IP-Phone 79xx

Hello the 2626-PWR is 802.3af compliant and provides up to 15.4W per port to power phones, wirelessAP's, webcams and more.
If the phone doesn't need more then 15.4W then it should be possible i think. I would call Cisco to be sure before you plug in any non IEEE 802.3af compliant device. (couldn't find anything on the web regarding IEEE standard, only Cisco pre-standard)

(copy-paste from http://www.voicom.co.uk/Docs/About_802.3af.pdf)
However some manufactures have gone their own way, both in specification for the Powered Devices and the Powered Sourcing Equipment. These manufacturers have developed their solutions to what has been recognised as ├в Pre-Standard├в - many of the technologies were developed before 802.3af was established. With a mix of solution now deployed some compliant to the IEEE standard and some Pre-Standard it can make it very difficult to integrate different components.

so my best advice is still contact Cisco before plugging in the IP-phone.

Kind regards,
S
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The Cisco Phone (PD) should accept Power over either the Data Pairs or the Non Data Pairs (802.3af spec). The HP ProCurve Switches supply the power over te Data Pairs.
We found at that only the Cisco 7970g is actually 802.3af compliant (talking on the 79XX range).

Thanks, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
Einar_3
Advisor

Check out www.powerdsine.com for splitters to use for adaption of the different implementations. This website also contains informative summary of products which comply with the 802.3af standard: http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/SelectionGuide.asp