New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve Switch 2650 + Routing Vlan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manuel Gabrieli
Advisor

ProCurve Switch 2650 + Routing Vlan

Hi,
I wuold like to ask you just a question.
I planning to buy four ProCurve Switch 2650.
I'll got this scenario:
About 80 hosts have been connected trought the switch.
There is a Single-End-Server 802.1q compliant
and a single Router of our ISP (to be access to Internet).

I wuold like to do 5 Vlan Configured on each Switch as well as 5 different IP classes.
192.168.1.0/24
192.168.2.0/24
192.168.3.0/24
192.168.4.0/24
192.168.5.0/24

-SERVER 192.168.1.100
-ISP router go a Public address as 82.192.xxx.xxx

The ProCurve Switch 2650 is able to drive packets from each class of the VLANs to the class of the ISP router 82.192.xxx.xxx.?

Hope to read you a soon as possible.

Thanks in advance to every body will answered.

18 REPLIES 18
Mohammed Safadi
Advisor

Hi Manuel
First of all, is your network will consist of only these four 2650 intelligent edge switches, or you have distributor layer or core layer above that edge switches, and where are the router and the SERVER will be connected?

Regards

Manuel Gabrieli
Advisor

The network will consist in just that 4 switches.
The Switches will be connected by the 1GB/S uplink port as well as the two server.
A router of our ISP will be connected on a normal 100Mb/s port of one of this router.
Manuel Gabrieli
Advisor

I'll try to explain it better.
I got 80 hosts that are in the Same DOMAIN. So they have to login in the DOMAIN Server.
Just a part of this host, about (30) have to work with another Server for a CAD Applications.
All of them have to go to Internet.
I tought that ProCurve Switch 2650, is the best solution. But before to buy i wuold like to know if is it possible connected the Momdem/router ADSL to onw port of the swith and set it as default gateway for all the subnets.

Regards
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Why do you need 5 VLANs for just 80 users? Do you think it wise to route between the VLANs with the router connected to the ISP?
Manuel Gabrieli
Advisor

I need 5 VLANS, because there are 5 little-company in the same building. So I would like to create a minimun security among each company. Anyway each company have even to work with the same two Server.

You are right, I'll connect the modem/router ADSL of the ISP to a FireWALL (IPCOP) and then the Firewall will be connected to a port of the swith.

Anyway i wuold like to know if this Switch are Layer 3 or better if them are able to route all the packtes, among the vlan to the server and to the gateway for internet.

Thanks in advance.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I am trying to read between the lines in order to grasp how or if you intend to route between VLANs. You say there is one domain/one server, so I assume SBS which you say is 802.q compliant. Does that mean that you hope to have the server be a member of all 5 VLANs? Have you verified that the server can participate in all 5 VLANs?

Does there need to be routing between VLANs for any other purpose? If so, how do you plan to differentiate the inter-VLAN routing from the ISP routing if you set the DG to it?

I presume your firewall does not support 802.1q, so there might not be any security between the 5 companies that share the network depending on how the routes are setup.

From what I read on http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch2600series/overview.htm HP says the 2650 is routing capable.

Sorry, I have more questions than answers.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Manuel,
I guess you want to manage using PCM+ (ProCurve Manager) software.
I don't know it; I think it's possible but I don't know how you can do it.

Antonio Vigliotti

P.S. Piccolo consiglio, se posso permettermi. Dai qualche punto alle risposte, questo ti aiutera' molto a trovare soluzioni.
Ciao dall'Italia.
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Manuel Gabrieli
Advisor

Actually it doesn't matter in which way i'll set/manage them up even by CMI it's fine. Anyway after seven answers I did not understand if is it really possibile with the ProCurve Switch 2650 sharing a internet gateway for 5 differents Sub-NetLAN.

I want:
- 5 differents subnets (5 VLAN).
- All the subnets have to share 2 Servers 802.1q compliant.
- All the subnets have to use a single ADSL connection. (So will be a firewall or a normal modem/router) The firewall it's not 802.1q compliant.

Which kind of Switch i need? I thought a L3 switch was fine, is it correct? Or i need a real router? Otherwise wich kind of router can you tell me a model?

best regards

p.s:Grazie per la info. Speriamo di risolvere.. devo comprarli a breve.:)

Manuel Gabrieli
Advisor

The subnets will be:
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0
192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0
192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0

The firewall/gateway will be:
192.168.0.1 255.255.0.0

The Switch have just to deliver the packets from each SubNet of each VLan to a untagged segments where there will be the Firewall/gateway connected that will do NAT.