Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752741 Members
5722 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve Switch 4000 wont connect to my router

Renee Montgomery_1

ProCurve Switch 4000 wont connect to my router

I have a 3Com Corebuilder router that I am trying to connect with my new ProCurve 4000 switch. I have connected the router and switch with a cross over cable (tried 2), I have configured the switches IP address, and have set both the 3Com Port and 4000 port to 100 half. When I plug the switch into the corebuilder there is activity, however, I can not ping the router from the switch. What else am I missing. This Corebuilder does have several VLAN's installed, however the switch is only being used for one VLAN. I don't think it needs to be VLAN enabled.
HELP!!
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

A router does not need a crossover cable to connect to a switch. Use a straight cable. That's probably your problem. Just in case tho:

Turn off flow control on both ends.

Check that the switch and router both agree that the port is up.

Verify that you have the same subnet and mask on both the router port and the switch.

Verify that the router is not trying to tag packets with 802.1q tagging on the port going to the switch.

Verify that the router is not filtering incoming ICMP on that port and that it is allowed to respond to ICMP.

Verify that the switch does not already have another port with the same IP address.

Verify that the router does not have a duplicate subnet or overlap on other ports. Normally a router should be smart enough not to allow that but with 2Com who knows.

Ron

Sandra Ferrero
Advisor

Hi,

it doesn't matter which kind of cable you use between switch & router since 4000M ports are autosensing.

Try to leave switch port and router port to autonegotiate.

Check the ip address and netmask, both router and switch must be in the same range.

Another thing,
If router has various VLANs, in case router port connecting to the switch is configured as member of let's say VLAN-1 and tagged, you will have to configure all the switch ports as members of VLAN-1 and the port connected to the router as tagged.

Good luck!
Tito Tortelli

Since the 4000M is tranasparent as far as the network is concerned, try removing all ip address information and put it on a port that has no VLANs configured. Now try and ping a client or another device on the other side. If you can ping successfully then it's a configuration issue, and most likely something to do with VLAN tagging.

Next can you ping the switch from the router? Again if the answer is yes then you must examine the VLAN configs.

Speed-duplex settings are most likely not the culprit here, because most of the time pings will get through but you will see alignment errors and dropped TX packets.

Tito
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Check that the Corebuilder port is not configured to Cisco ISL.

If you use it in VLAN 10 of Cisco, create VLAN 10 also to the switch, assign all ports to that VLAN as untagged. Also assign the connecting port in the Cisco as untagged for that VLAN.

HTH,
Arimo
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

First, the cables you use doesnt matter, hp4000 is autosensing.
then, you must check ip address, mask and GATEWAY.
also see there isn??t any vlan configured (only DEFAULT_VLAN)
And finally, if it doesn??t work update firmware

Jorge