1753870 Members
7271 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve Switch and CRC errors

Rebuzzi

ProCurve Switch and CRC errors

Hi all,

I have some problems with my ProCurve switches. In the logging (and in PCM+ retrieving the syslog) I have a lot of CRC/Alignment errors, mostly on ports where HP Jetdirect printers are connected.

But when I look into the ports counters menu, there is nothing. Not a single counter increase when a warning arrives in the log.

Could it be a known bug on thoses switches ? (I have a lot of differents models, but this issue arrives on 2524 and 2650).

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Most likely it's a configuration error or cable issue. CRC errors on a port most often tell you that there is an issue on the other side of the connection. Have you checked that the portspeed and duplex settings on the switchport and the jetdirect port are the same?
Rebuzzi

Yes, I've checked almost everything, and wanted to know if this problem (not really the CRC but the link Warning in logging/nothing in counters) was known.

The next step, here, is to check every cables and where they are installed (maybe near electrical perturbations). We have this problem with HP homestations too, configured in automatic mode (switch and ethernet card), but for them, counters are really increasing.
Chrisd13
Advisor

I would expect that you would see the CRC errors in the counter for the port in question under the RX errors. I see this in my 5308xl and 4000M switch event logs and counters. Are you running the latest firmware on your switch? It might be worth checking out the release notes for any firmware upgrade that you have not applied, if any are outstanding.
Rebuzzi

In fact, i've upgraded every swith in our network with the last firmware update available from HP. So... well, it seems to have a problem somewhere :)
Rebuzzi

I've tried some things today:

I've choosen one of the ports that are notifying CRC errors, and connected a laptop. There are the results:

- Switch Port 24 (Auto) & Laptop (Auto) : CRC errors, jabbering.

- Switch Port 24 (100 Full) & Laptop (100 Full) : CRC errors, jabbering + Full Duplex Mismatch (I really don't understand why, as they are both in 100 Full).

-Same tests with an HP computer connected to that port.

- If I connect this on another port, there's not a single error.

The switch concerned is a new one, freshly arrived in our infrastructure. Is it possible that the port 24 has a native problem? I don't believe it, but I really can't understand why I'm having theses problems on that speficic port.