Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753765 Members
5035 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve switches to get Dynamic DNS update?

Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

ProCurve switches to get Dynamic DNS update?

Where can one submit a feature request? We use dynamic DNS, and all-to-often our switches show up with the DNS name of one of our workstations (the ones that are DHCP, anyway).

Is there a way, or can we have a feature added, that will allow these switches to register with the DNS server with their sysname?
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Usually the best way is to ask your local procurve sales rep to see if this type of feature may be coming and if not, ask that they pass this feature request on.

I don't imagine there would be too much of a demand for this feature, you could always add DHCP reserverations for your switches to ensure they always get the same IP address.

Otherwise you can cross your fingers that a developer reads this and adds it to a future release!
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

300+ switches...65 subnets...50+ DHCP servers... reserve IP addresses? Manually add dhcp?

Our static ranges are out of capacity, and short of renumbering our entire district, manual ip configs arent going to happen. Further, DHCP exclusions are just as intrusive.

AFAIK we don't have a local procurve rep heh...
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I think that some of the ProCurve folks watch here. I would think that if you have support on your switches, you would follow channels as if you were reporting a bug but call it an enhancement request.

I have to say that in broad handwaving terms, using dynamic IP addresses for switches seems, well, not terribly robust. I would think you would want "infrastructure" devices to have static IPs. Otherwise, if your DHCP service goes down, knuth only knows what happens if the switches powercycle.

And while dynamic DNS can indeed make sure that the DNS servers get updated with new name-IP mappings, I don't think it makes any promises about applications knowing to make another getaddrinfo (gethostbyname) call when wanting to communicate with the management functions of the switch.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows