108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve2626 VLAN pass through question

_blkdog
Occasional Advisor

ProCurve2626 VLAN pass through question

I have a config:
uplink->HP2626->DlinkSW
Uplink sends me several vlans. I terminate them on my ProCurve2626 and pass them along to Dlink switch that I have no realy authority over. So the owner of Dlink says that they can't reach it. When I remove my ProCurve2626 from the scheme above Dlink can be reached and managed. I also monitored uplink port and tried to compare it with the output from HP switch. The result was that I couldnt see any tagged vlan packets leaving HP.
As far as I remmember the piece of the config looks like this:

vlan 66
untagged 9,19

Does it mean that none tagged packets would ever pass through from port 9 to 19? If so, what can I do about it to solve my problem?

Another question: is it possible to remap vlans on ProCurve2626?
7 REPLIES 7
antonio canha

send me the configurations,

regards,

Antonio
_blkdog
Occasional Advisor

Maybe, if I rephrase my question it becomes a bit more clear what I want to know.
I need to pass 3 tagged vlans from port 9 to port 19 on the switch (HP2626).
So I do the following (it's just an example, but the closest to running config):

vlan 101
tagged 9,19
vlan 102
tagged 9,19
vlan 103
tagged 9,19

And this is working all right so far.
Now, the most interesting part: how do I let vlans through when I'am not told their IDs. Of course, I can sniff the uplink and then manually add them, but is there a simlier/more elegant solution of adding vlans without an operator's intervention?
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Like you said the uplink switch is sending you muliple Vlans.

That means you have first to match the vlan numbers of the uplink.(this is not needed for the untagged vlan).

So you will get a configuration like :

vlan 66
untagged 9,19

vlan 67
untagged 10
tagged 9

I took port 9 as your uplink port.

And the dlinksw needs to match also the vlan numbers

As pass trhough it will be something like this

port 9 uplink
port 10 dlinksw

vlan 66
untagged 9,10

vlan 67
tagged 9,10

vlan 68
tagged 9,10

I hope this helps

_blkdog
Occasional Advisor

Yes,Evert, it makes sense, and I understand what you are saying absolutely. Still is it possible to imitate a dumb switch which pass frames from port 9 to port 19 regardless of their VLAN ID(In a brige-like fashion)? Or can I configure an auto assigning of all vlans that uplink sends me to certain interfaces?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If all devices support it, you could use GVRP for dynamic VLAN registration.
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Like the poster before said use that. But with bridging this to one vlan you will get all data returning from the dlink switch broadcasted over all vlan's back. So that is not a perfect solution.
Better is to dive into the configuration of that Dlink switch.
_blkdog
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your participation. I'm afraid there is no "out of the box" solution for my problem. For now I'll stick to manually adding required vlans.