Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748181 Members
3950 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem adding 2524 switch to network

BCHAN

Problem adding 2524 switch to network

We have two offices connected via a "private ethernet" provided by our ISP. At the head office we have a 2824 switch and at the remote office we have a Sonicwall firewall which grabs an IP off our head office network (192.168.16.xx) without any issues.

However, when I plug in a 2524 switch at the remote office, in between the Sonicwall and that private ethernet connection the Sonicwall can no longer grab an IP. Same thing with a laptop; I can get on the head office network if I plug it in directly to the private ethernet connection but once it goes through the 2524 it can't get anything.

The 2524 switch is at factory default settings. What can I look at to determine the problem? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
RonniDK
Advisor

Re: Problem adding 2524 switch to network

What happens if you connect the 2524 directly to your head office network and connect your laptop to the 2524 ? Not through the "private ethernet".

Is there link?
Does the switch work at all?

If the switches don't figure it out themselves, you might have to use a crossover cable between switches.

BCHAN

Yep, I've tried connecting it directly (through a standard ethernet cable) to our switch in head office. Everything seems fine when I do that.

I've used this switch before, connecting several servers on the head office network without any issues.

It's only when I plug in that private ethernet connection that things get weird. I'm wondering if there's some setting or service that's turned on that may be incompatible with whatever our ISP has placed on that private ethernet connection.

They haven't been very helpful as they say everything looks fine on their end and their proof is that a laptop or firewall connected directly to that private ethernet connection works fine, "so it must be something with your switch configuration."
RonniDK
Advisor

Try give the switch an IP-address, connect to it using either a serial-cable or give your computer a static IP-address. Now try to ping a component on the other end of the private network, for example the router/switch.

You say it's factory default, but one thing that could create this behavior is VLAN's.

Can you send the configurations of the router/switch connected at the office, and the 2524 ?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I agree with Ronni
When the 2524 is at factory default, the only vlan it knows of is vlan-1. It treats untagged packets as belonging to vlan-1.

But on the other hand it may not accept vlan-tagged packets, even if this IS vlan-1!

So connect a serial console and use the "show logging" command to display recent messages from the switch.
Then one at a time connect the private-ethernet and the Sonicwall while monitoring log entries.
RonniDK
Advisor

Hi,

Did you solve your problem?

If so, what caused it?