Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753659 Members
5884 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem connecting a HP 5308xl with a Cisco 3550

Keno Backer

Problem connecting a HP 5308xl with a Cisco 3550

I'm trying to connect a Procurve 5308xl switch and cisco 3550 switch. Scenario goes as follows:

Two different networks, both switches have their on vlan, let's say vlan1 and vlan2. And both of these have another vlan (3) for the connection between them (fiberlink) which also has ist own network. The ports for the connection are trunked on both sides (FEC on HP, PAGP on Cisco). IP routing (RIP) is active.
I am able to ping from the cisco-switch network to the HP but it does not work the other way round. Ping on HP times out. I do not understand why.
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Look for a filter! (Zone Alarm, XP's built-in etc) If a ping works in one direction that means the routing is good because the echo reply has to be sent back to the source using the routing table. Another possibility is that the host has ping replies turned off. (Can anyone ping the device?) Try a traceroute (tracert on windows) and see how far you get. If you are using names to ping with then try IP addresses. If that works then it's a DNS issue.

Ron
Abi_3

Have you got a route back on the HP for it to know how to get to the othe side of fthe network? I suspect you only have dynamic routing on your cisco whereas no routing on the HP. Try adding a static route to the HP switch.
Keno Backer

Thank you for your reply.

I think this won t solve the problem. When I try to ping to the cisco-network I get a time-out message from the interface on the HP which is directly connected to the cisco switch. But I am able to ping this interface from the CLI of the HP. Same the other way round from the CLI on the cisco switch. And the ping-command also works from the network across the cisco to the HP switch.
The tracert-(or traceroute)-command from HP also shows a time-out to the cisco-interface. Static routes to the other network are added on the HP.
I use two filters on the 5308xl to prevent DHCP-IP-addresses and IPX to be broadcasted into the cisco-network.
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

You are using VLANS. May be this is the issue with SAT (SourceAddressTable)? HP uses one SAT table per switch for all vlans (SVL). Procurve goes crazy when see same MAC on two or more vlans. Cisco in the same situation feels good. Cisco uses ILV (separate SATs for each vlan). Check this issue.
P.S. Please correct me if 5300xl series start to use separate SAT for separate vlans.
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Segei,

You are wrong that the 53XX gets crazy when it sees the same MAC in different VLANs. The 53XX has a Multiple Forwarding Database or in other words a MAC Table Per VLAN. It WOULD get crazy, like any other switch, if it see the same MAC Address on different ports within the SAME VLAN.

Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer