3137 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Problem with ADSL Speedtouch Modem with XP

Russell Standring
Occasional Contributor

Problem with ADSL Speedtouch Modem with XP

Hello all

I have an issue that has me pulling my hair out at the moment.

I have an HP Pavilion 7955 desktop PC with windows Xp. For a year and a half, I have been using ADSL with an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem without any problems. I used to play lots of online games, as well as download from the web, and we could leave the PC connected for 24 hours.

All this changed and we are now experiencing problems. The connection drops, although the modem icon is still green - which means it doesn't think there is a problem, and this can take from a minute to a couple of hours. I've bought a powered 1.1 USB hub, which doesn't help once the connection has gone. I've tested the modem on my old Windows Millenium PC and it seems fine, which seems to tell me it's not a modem or line problem.

What could be causing these issues, is it that the USB connections are having problems internally. The PC is about two years old now. I don't understand what has changed as it was working so well for so long.

Any help or thoughts would be gratefully appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers, Russell

PS - I work for HP in support, but software support, so I have no idea about the internals of a PC.