5400 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with startup-config from tftp on HP 2524

Michael Klose
Occasional Contributor

Problem with startup-config from tftp on HP 2524

Hello !!

I have some problems when I get a config via tftp on my HP2524.

In the config I get there is no public community and a radius host key is defined !!

But when I look after the reboot at the switch config the public community is set and the radius host key is not set.

Is this a bug ???

My second problem is when on a new HP2524 I will try to get a new config where ssh is set I always gets an error !!
So I must first generate a ssh host key.

Now when I will install 20 switches over DHCP and tftp config-download it won't works !!
So I must configure each switch manually !!

I hope somebody can helps me !!
Weihnachtsmann
4 REPLIES 4
Udo Konstantin
Advisor

Re: Problem with startup-config from tftp on HP 2524

Hi,

first if you mean a cisco device then you don't see the radius key. So it's no bug...

For your second problem I can't help you sorry

Udo

Michael Klose
Occasional Contributor

No Its a HP Device ! A HP2524 which I have configured and saved the config over TFTP ! When I look manually at the config file ! The key is listed in it !!
Weihnachtsmann
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Sort of looks like an HP 2524 is a badge engineered Cisco. The commands look like Cisco IOS and it even does CDP.

As far as your first problem is concerned it sound like the switch is saving the tftp info to its stored config file (start-config) and not reading it until after a reset.

See if you see a difference between
sh start
and
sh run
After the initial setup.

copy start run
will have the same effect as a boot if that is the case.

You might want to look at
sh boot
to see if it has anything funky set in the boot.

As for your second problem. In order for ssh to work you need an enable password and the command crypto key generate rsa and ssh has to be enabled. There is no enable password and no key when you first boot up so you won't be able to do ssh until after the config file has been received.

You can use a shell script to telnet back in and make any changes you need after the initial config (such as

crypto key generate rsa
copy start run
reload
etc)

If you prefer Windows, A program like Kiwi Cattools can do it for you and there are also some Perl programs which will do a good job talking to your switch.

Ron

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Michael,
Do you still have this problem?

PS: You can talk to Ron in German language!