7939 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problems in routing over vlans on HP ProCurve Switch

Coliban
Advisor

Problems in routing over vlans on HP ProCurve Switch

Hello,

i try to configure a ProCurve Switch 3500yl.

I can configure Vlans, say
vlan 1 172.168.2.3
vlan 2 190.2.190.4 (which has connection to the outside).
I can ping from one vlan 1 to vlan 2.

But i can´t route from vlan 1 over vlan 2 to an other member of the destination on 190.2.190.0.

I tried several things, but the docu says, for this kind of routing i have to switch on the 802.1Q Protocol, which i did. But whatever i try, it will not route over vlan 2.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

regards
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Do you have 'ip routing' enabled?

Also, for each client on the vlans, their default gateway ip addr will be the ip of the vlan on the switch.

802.1Q is only needed if you are running multiple vlans on a single connection (like switch-to-switch).

Without seeing your config it is hard to say exactly what might be the problem.

hth...Jeff
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding your problem, but I think you mean that hosts in vlan 1 can't reach hosts in vlan 2, but you can reach the switch's ip address in that vlan?

In that case, I suspect the hosts in vlan 2 simply don't have a route set to vlan 1 via the switch. They need that so they can send packets back to hosts in vlan 1 attempting to contact them.
Coliban
Advisor

Hello,

many thanks for the answers. I've figured out, that there has to be a very special combination of "Auto" and "untagged" parameters for the port. After many attempts, i found, per incident, the wright combination. Since i am now not at the switch, i do not know, if i memorize it properly, but for one Port on VLAN 1, it has to be something like:

-----------------------
Port #

VLAN 1 VLAN 2
7 Auto Untagged

19 Untagged Auto
-----------------------

May, this is found somewhere in the 300 docs about configuration, but i had no time to read it all, so i made it by trial & error.
But is is nowhere explicitly written down, how to route between vlans, this was a problem, because man y users on the net had the same questions, but no answers.

Regards and many thanks

Coliban
Advisor

I have changed some config items, added an other vlan, but with the result, that i can´t route with the new configuration.

From the DEFAULT Network, i can ping "Extern". "Extern" is my connection to the outside. But "Extern" does not route the PC from the "DEFAULT_VLAN" to the default-gateway, as i configured it. It is, for shure, possible, that i do not realy understand the system of "tagged", "untagged", and "auto". I can fiddle with it, but it does not react, as i suppose it, it should do.
--------------------------------
; J9310A Configuration Editor; Created on release #K.14.52

hostname "ProCurve Switch 3500yl-24G-PoEP"
module 1 type J93xxA
ip default-gateway 190.1.130.254
ip routing
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-15,17,21-24
ip address 120.21.47.67 255.255.255.128
no untagged 16,18-20
exit
vlan 2
name "Extern"
untagged 16
ip address 190.1.130.3 255.255.255.0
exit
vlan 20
name "WASS"
untagged 18-20
ip address 120.28.103.1 255.255.0.0
exit
gvrp
console baud-rate 19200
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 190.1.130.254
router rip
exit
snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
--------------------------------

regards
Coliban
Advisor

I have to apologize,it was not the router, it was a gateway, which had a route, just for the clients address, to an other switch"!

From the routers subnet, i was able to ping to the gateway, from the subnet of a client, it was not possible.

This, because the Gateway had a different route to the clients subnet, so he routed all clients requests to the old switch, a HP Procurve 2810.

For that, it had weird results, but when i deleted the route from the gateway, i was able to ping, and, from there, i was able to route outside.

So, this problem is solved.

Many thanks to all!

regards
Coliban
Advisor

Problem solved, see above