Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with management of 5308's

Problems with management of 5308's

Hi

I have done some misconfiguration in my network, but I can't find put where. Now I have tried to find the error for several months, so I need some help in doing this.

I have two 5308XL's as a core of my network. These are configured with XRRP, and simple failover cabling. They are connected to each other with a trunk of two GB ethernet interfaces. They are also connected to a 2650 with a glue network to my firewall. This VLAN is not representated in the trunk! One port from each 5308 to the 2650, and one port from the 2650 to my firewall.

I have a management VLAN which the two 5308's have an IP-address, and among others a PCM+ 2.2 server. IP configuration is correct on these three devices.

The 5308's have default gateway to the interface on the firewall, in the glue vlan.
The PCM+ server have default gateway set to one of the two 5308's.

The problem is I can telnet to one of the 5308's, but not the other. Or actually, when I telnet the other 5308 I get the login page, and then it crashes. But when I telnet the first, and telnet the other from there it works perfectly.

The networks works perfectly, but it is difficult to administer it. And the worst is I am not able to upgrade firmware on the other 5308. One of them got fw 10.61, the other 10.23

Spanning-tree is activated(MSTP), but it is not blocking any ports.

Does anyone have any idea where I should start checking for errors?

Best regards

-:Rune:-
7 REPLIES
Andrew_291
Frequent Advisor

Re: Problems with management of 5308's

Rune, was that problem, when on one of these 5308 had 10.55 soft version ?

Hi

I have never had software 10.55 on any of these...

But on monday I will try upgrading the 10.23-version to 10.61 using consolecable.

Andrew_291
Frequent Advisor

Well,my opinion is that 10.61 are not stable,it was in works on my devices about 1 month. After that soft had been rolled back to 10.55 and switch again works nice .
Try to load that version or newer - 10.67.Hope,that helps.

Now I have upgraded both 5308's to ver 10.67, but still can't get management of the second one.

So I am back to seeking for misconfiguration. I will guess it is wrong configuration of VLANs, MSTP or routing. But I can't figure it out.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Have you actually used the 'management-vlan' command? You may want to try removing this.

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I would recommend you to attach the configuration of both 5300's in here after removing any sensitive information, and i'm sure we can find it out together.

One more thing, if you telnet to the first core and do ping for the second, then execute:
show arp vlan (your management vlan ID), then see in the field PORT you should get it on the trunk.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone

Hi, and thanks for the reply

I have never known the show arp vlan-command, and I found it very helpful. Thanks! But it doesnt show which port the the second switch(nako-sw02) is connected to.

I have not used the management-vlan command (why isnt that one working?)

I have attached the config, hope some of you can dig into it.

A little info:

Vlan 35 is my management vlan
Vlan 60 is the glue network to my firewall
Trk1 is the connection between the two 5308's

Thanks