108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 1700/1800 LACP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bram Van den Bosch
Occasional Contributor

Procurve 1700/1800 LACP

I have a network with some Procurve 1800(24x 10/100/1000) and 1700 (2x10/100/1000 22x 10/100).
Because there are some redundant links between them that are not connected (the 1700/1800's don't support STP) it would be nice to have some sort of failover solution (in case one of the 2 cables fails).
I think link aggregation should do the trick.
But when I read about LACP I often hear about 'thrunking', so just to be certain, does LACP has anything to do with VLAN thrunking?
Is it correct if i say that: if there are 2 1GB connections between two switches, and I use LACP on both of them, they will act as 1 2GB link?
What if one of the two cables goes down? Will there be a problem, or will it just fallback to one 1GB link?

How do I configure it in the following situation?
1800 A == 1800 B
Is it just as easy as connecting the cables and put the 4 ports (2 on switch A and 2 on B) in the same Link Aggregate group, and giving them all the same key?
3 REPLIES 3
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Bram

So there is a little nomenclature thing you are dealing with

Cisco uses the term Trunking for multiple vlans on a single link.

HP uses the term trunking for port aggregation.

So yes it has nothing to do with vlan trunking in itself. It is for link aggregation.

Secondly yes they will act as a single 2G link bearing in mind that max throughput in one direction per connection is 1GB.

If one link goes down ... no problem.

You have the gist of the config. The big catch is ... configure the ports for lacp first and then the cables.

HTH
Bram Van den Bosch
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. I needed to test it in a live situation.
But it worked and there was almost no downtime.

Beside this problem, I have another one.
I was confused about trunking.
I want to make a VLAN trunk, but I might need some support for that.
the trunk menu does not refer to VLAN trunking but to trunking lines together.

For example, I have 2 1800 switches. I have 3 vlans on each (vlan 1,2,3 on 1800A and vlan 1,2,3 on 1800B). vlan 1 on A needs to communicate with vlan 1 on B, 2A with 2B and 3A with 3B.
One way to do this is with 3 cables between the switches (one for each VLAN). But that is not efficient. So I want to have one cable that transports the 3 VLANS to the other switch. How do I configure this situation?
It seems that I can add one switchport to several vlans? And what about tagging?

Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bram

HP Devices call it vlan tagging. It supports 802.1q tagging.

You find it on the 1800 menu under Vlans
Vlan - setup where you define the vlans and once you create the vlan it takes you to the membership definition screen. From there you can then define per vlan port membership. Yes you can have more than one vlan per port.

Under ports you assign the untagged vlan aka PVID.

Also pretty strait forward once you know where to find it.

HTH