Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752662 Members
5625 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve 2510 Overal Switch Health Monitoring - which OID?

Koen Van Overberghe

Procurve 2510 Overal Switch Health Monitoring - which OID?

Hi,

We use a monitoring tool to monitor the customer's critical LAN/WAN/Server infrastructure.

A particular customer has a couple of HP Procurve 2510(-24) switches. On the web interface of the switch, on the top, a "general health" indicator gives an overview of the Switch status.

We would like to read the value of this overal health indicator by reading it's SNMP OID value. The regular RFC MIBs for the switch don't seem to publish this value.

Does anyone know which OID might have this value, of if there's a *specific* MIB for these switches that might document this OID?

Thanks!
Koen, Neddine ICT Consultants & Architects
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Procurve 2510 Overal Switch Health Monitoring - which OID?

Good question. My own personal feeling is that that health indicator is purely Java driven based on the type of events that are shown in the event log on the web interface.

As soon as you clear all the events on the web interface (which does not clear them anywhere else) it will always give you the green status.

As such, I would think it's unlikely that there is an OID for this.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

"general health" might be a composite consisting from some operators applied to two or more OIDs. You should contact HP to tell you these OIDs and how do they calculate the "general health" value, so you can do the same or equivalent in your SNMP monitoring app. They might even tell you, if the algorithm is not proprietary.
Koen Van Overberghe

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far, I must say that we hadn't yet thought of the possibility that the java app "calculates" this status.
Our monitoring application is quite able to do this, actually, but finding out the OID's is the next step.
HP isn't monitoring / actively participating in this newsgroup?