Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748171 Members
4421 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve 2510 Spanning Tree WAN

Jeff Lanska

Procurve 2510 Spanning Tree WAN

I'm looking to use the 2510 switch in a wan configuration for a network loop with redundancy and am not very familiar with STP yet. My question is that would it be ok to run stp through a microwave ethernet loop and have routers with one WAN port at each site? Thus using three ports at each site's switch. One being for the router, and two being for the two microwave hops to the next two sites. If you need more details let me know... Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
aojea
Frequent Advisor

Re: Procurve 2510 Spanning Tree WAN

If you have different subnets in every site and your routers support vlans, I'll will configure a different vlan for every microwave link avoiding ethernet loops.
Thus, every router will have 2 WAN interfaces connected with the other routers in a fully-connected network

Then, with a internal routing protocol like OSPF you can get redundancy and load balancing.

Jeff Lanska

Re: Procurve 2510 Spanning Tree WAN

understood.... let me make sure I've got you right though... on each router's ethernet WAN port I'll have them tagged to the switch with multiple VLANs where the switch will actually separate the vlans through their respective networks.... correct?

Thank you for the fast response.