1752796 Members
6109 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 2610 and 2510g and Mitel VoIP

Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor

Procurve 2610 and 2510g and Mitel VoIP

I have a very odd issue that I have scratched my head over. I replaced some dell switches with 2 HP Procurve switches. I have 2 used vlans on my network (vlan 2 for data and Vlan 3 for voice). I have setup all ports with the following tagging on 2610:

Vlan 2 - Untagged 1-4,6-24,26-28 tagged 5
Vlan 3 - tagged 1-4,6-24,26-28 untagged 5,25
Port 5 and 25 are phone system equipment

Port 25 is my Mitel 3300 controller, on vlan 3 with the phone DHCP scope.
Port 26 is an uplink port to my 2510g switch which has the DHCP server for my computers Vlan 2(also hosts some Mitel Options for the phones)
IP routing is enabled.

The issue I am having is that if I plug in a workstation into any of the ports on the 2610, I pull the correct Vlan 2 Ip address. When I plug my Mitel IP Phone into the same jack, It discovers the data dhcp, gets its options that put it on Vlan 3, re-discovers and ends up with a vlan 2 IP address. I have a network card in my workstation that I can tag vlans on and when I disable vlan tagging I get the proper vlan 2 ip address but when I tag it with vlan 3, I again get a vlan 2 address from the vlan 2 dhcp server.

The strange thing is that, if I manually set the phone to vlan 3 and enter a vlan 3 ipaddress, it works fine. It just won't pull a Vlan 3 IP address from the Mitel controller.

Here is my config for the 2610, what am I overlooking?

UVDS-HP_SW1_VOICE# sh run

Running configuration:

; J9087A Configuration Editor; Created on release #R.11.25

hostname "UVDS-HP_SW1_VOICE"
qos dscp-map 101100 priority 6
ip routing
snmp-server community "public" Unrestricted
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no ip address
no untagged 1-28
exit
vlan 3
name "Voice"
untagged 5,25
ip address 192.168.1.250 255.255.255.0
qos priority 6
ip helper-address 192.168.1.2
tagged 1-4,6-24,26-28
voice
exit
vlan 2
name "Data"
untagged 1-4,6-24,26-28
ip address 192.168.200.250 255.255.255.0
tagged 5
exit
vlan 20
name "Public_Tech"
tagged 1-28
exit
qos type-of-service diff-services
primary-vlan 3
dhcp-snooping authorized-server 192.168.1.2
dhcp-snooping authorized-server 192.168.200.20
dhcp-snooping vlan 2-3

UVDS-HP_SW1_VOICE#
4 REPLIES 4
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>>
vlan 3
name "Voice"
ip address 192.168.1.250 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 192.168.1.2
<<<
The ip-helper is needed to route dhcp request from a vlan without dhcp-server to another subnet/vlan with dhcp-server.
as you have different dhcp-servers on each vlan, you don't need an ip-helper address.
(it is NOT needed to point to a server within the same subnet).

>>> It discovers the data dhcp, gets its options that put it on Vlan 3, re-discovers and ends up with a vlan 2 IP address <<<

apearently you got your "data" dhcpserver setup to recognize the vendor-id of the mittel phone. and issue some option (vlan-id)
why doesn't this dhcp-server issue the dhcp-adress on vlan3 directly?
check your scope settings.
you need two scopes, one for each subnet.
check the default gateway option for both scope's are set for the right vlan.

as all devices on the vlan-3 network seem to get vlan-2 adresses, double check the mittel controller configuration so it doesn't issue the vlan-2 adresses by mistake.
or only use a single dhcp-server:
- stop the mittel dhcp-server
- configure the right ip-helper (in vlan-3 to vlan-2 dhcp server)
- configure the right scopes on the vlan-2 dhcp server

Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your help.

I followed as suggested with no changes, still pulling vlan 2 DHCP address on Vlan 3.

When I stop the DHCP server on the mitel and boot a phone, it gets the proper vlan2 address, pulls it Options, releases and jumps on vlan 3, discovers and once again ends up with a vlan 2 address. Same result as before.

I scoured the network to see if there was any rouge DHCP servers, and there are none. The reason that I think there is an issue with my configuration on the switches is that these switches replaced some Dell Powerconnects. THis configuration worked fine with them.

The reason for the 2 DHCP servers and Vlan jumping is that we have computers and phones running on the same cable. having the data vlan running native will allow the computers to join. Setting up the Mitel Options in the Data DHCP server allows the phones to get told what vlan they need to jump on and do so accordingly.

I verified that vlan 2 (data) is untagged on every port except on the ports the Mitel Phone controller and the VOicemail Server are plugged into, those ports I have untagged with vlan 3 (voice). I have vlan 3 tagged on all other ports. I even removed the vlan 3 tag on the port the Data dhcp server is running to no avail.

The only scenario's that I can come up with that may be causing this is that the vlan tagging is not translating between the 2 switches or the Cisco router is passing the data DHCP request through it, but it did not with the dell switches.

Any more information would be helpful.
Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for all of your help.

I found and resolved my issue. In sheir despiration, I decided I would take all of my data servers and temporarily put them on a seperate data switch tagged only for vlan 2. In the process, I traced out the patch cables, in that I found that the one that was for my data DHCP server was mis-labeled as one of my voice network devices and plugged into a voice vlan port. Once I found that, removed that port from vlan 3 and tested, all is good.

Thank you again for all your help.
Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for all of your help.

I found and resolved my issue. In sheir despiration, I decided I would take all of my data servers and temporarily put them on a seperate data switch tagged only for vlan 2. In the process, I traced out the patch cables, in that I found that the one that was for my data DHCP server was mis-labeled as one of my voice network devices and plugged into a voice vlan port. Once I found that, removed that port from vlan 3 and tested, all is good.

Thank you again for all your help.