New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 2626 QoS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Vilhelmsen
Occasional Advisor

Procurve 2626 QoS

Hi,

I┬┤m trying to configure QoS on some specific TCP ports, but I┬┤m not sure if I have done it correctly.

Here┬┤s what I have done:

configure
qos type-of-service diff-services
qos tcp-port 1494 priority 4
qos tcp-port 3389 priority 4
qos tcp-port 3050 priority 4
write memory

With this config would the above TCP ports be given priority 4 without making futher configuration?

Regards
Robert

11 REPLIES 11
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Verify with : show qos tcp-udp-port-priority

And anyway, the Priority 4 - 5 considered to be Medium , but now all traffic with TCP ports 1494, 3389 and 3050 will have priority of 4.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Robert Vilhelmsen
Occasional Advisor

thanks.

I have changed priority on thoose ports to 6. That must be high enough...

It just seemed to easy.

Robert
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Good to hear that,

Assigning points is our thanks :)

Science for Everyone
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

What you have done will insert an 802.1p priority bit and should be sufficient if you're using tagged VLANs throughout your network.

If you have switch to switch links that are untagged, or you need the priority to be retained over a WAN link then you will also need to configure DSCP.

There is a good example on page 6-32 of the QoS chapter:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/AdvTraff-Oct2005-59908853-Chap06-Qos.pdf
Robert Vilhelmsen
Occasional Advisor

Im currently running with untagged at 2 swicthes in one VLAN.

I know my QoS values is not transfered over my uplink (and WAN) to the other swicth when running untagged.

Im fairly new to 802.1q so currently all my switchports are running untagged with 1 VLAN.

I am planning to introduce tagged VLAN. Does tagged vlan require the vlan to be configured on the server nic drivers, if they only are member of one vlan?

I tryed yesterday to configure one of the ports connected to untagged vlan 2 as tagged. But as soon I did it, I lost all connection the the server. I thought when I enabled tagging on the port belonging to vlan 2 it would work.
I guess I have to enable 802.1q on all ports that are uplink to other switches and the firewall.

What I cannot understand when reading the manuals is, how do I make sure a specific server/client ect. only is allowed in a specific vlan?

When enabling 802.1q on my cisco 2950 I can choose "Auto 802.1q" and the specify what vlan├В┬┤s that├В┬┤s allowed.
Currently all ports on my cisco boxs is static assigned to VLAN2 (untagged).
Im affraid when configuring my switche,I will cut my self off.

Robert

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

-What Matt explained is true, 802.1p is a layer 2 protocol which never crosses wan links, shifting prioritis to DSCP mean Layer3 and then can be done over WAN link.

- "Does tagged vlan require the vlan to be configured on the server nic drivers, if they only are member of one vlan?"

Why you need to Tagg the Server link and you only have one Vlan.
Just keep the Ports connected to Pcs or Server Untagged (unless your server's NIC is 802.1q compliance and you need this solution).

- "I guess I have to enable 802.1q on all ports that are uplink to other switches and the firewall."

Thats true, Uplinks should be Tagged all the way between the Switches to Carry All Vlan traffic (except the Default_vlan which is 1 by default should be untagged).

- "how do I make sure a specific server/client ect. only is allowed in a specific vlan?"

Would you explain please :)

- "Im affraid when configuring my switche,I will cut my self off."

You will, Cisco's default protocol is ISL, you should configure the Standard IEEE 802.1q before Tagging the Port to a ProCurve switch.

And, be sure that the Native Vlan on Cisco switch (by default 1) is same as Default_Vlan on ProCurve switch (default to 1) and both untagged (or access port not trunk on Cisco).

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Robert Vilhelmsen
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Thats sounds good.

Now I have made a 802.1Q trunk on my Cat. 2950 connected to the Procurve 2626 and configured the port on Procurve connected to Cisco as a Tagged. All other ports are currently untagged.

If I understand this correct my QoS should be okay between the 2 swicthes?

With my above QoS configuration on the Procurve on specific TCP ports thoose packets (802.1p) the 802.1p priority assigment would be transfered accross my uplink to the Cisco.
QoS priority will only be transfered accross my WAN when I configure Tagged VLAN on the port connected to my firewall/router and start using DSCP?

My Cisco is running DSCP QoS. Would this be a issue?

Can I transfer DSCP values accross a firewall/router where VLAN and DSCP QoS is not supported? Will the firewall transfer thoose packets?

Robert

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

- "QoS should be okay between the 2 swicthes?"
yes, its ok , you don't need more than that.

- "
My Cisco is running DSCP QoS. Would this be a issue?"
Well, we have a Point Here:
using QoS in an 802.1Q VLAN environment will be with 802.1p priority tags but in an untagged
VLAN environment we will use DSCP policies because Links to WAN are Untagged.

Intermixing is allowed, but On the 2600/2600-PWR and 2800 switches, intermixing lower-precedence classifiers configured with DSCP policies and higher-precedence classifiers configured with 802.1p priority rules is not recommended.

The link which Matt gave you is perfect for such an implementation, so refer to :
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/AdvTraff-Oct2005-59908853-Chap06-Qos.pdf

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Robert Vilhelmsen
Occasional Advisor

thanks again.

I read the manual and think I have done it correct.

I have mapped my 802.1p priority 6 to DSCP map 100100 and then configured my QoS to use DSCP.

TCP/UDP port based priorities

| Application |
Protocol | Port Apply rule | DSCP Priority
-------- + ----------- ---------- + ------ -----------
TCP | 1494 DSCP | 100100 6
TCP | 3389 DSCP | 100100 6
TCP | 3050 DSCP | 100100 6

Looks okay?

Robert