108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Procurve 2650 mirror port and stacking

Marco_113
Frequent Advisor

Procurve 2650 mirror port and stacking

Hi all,
i've three Procurve 2650.

Two of these are used for internal LAN 172.20.0.0 and bridged on port 50.

The other one is for Public Internet IPs.

All the switch have the port 48 configured as mirro port.

I've an appliance with two NICS connected to the mirror ports of one of the two Lan switch and to the Internet switch.

My problem is that the appliance is unable to get the traffic of the other LAN switch (that one not connected to the appliance on mirror port).

How can i connect it to get also the traffic of this switch??
Thanks
Marco

1 REPLY 1
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Procurve 2650 mirror port and stacking

Ideally what you want is Remote Traffic Mirroring which the 2600's don't support.

What you could try though is putting your mirror-port in a different VLAN and connect those mirror ports up to a 4th switch which then mirrors to another port and connect the appliance to that. Alternatively you could use a hub instead to simplify it. If the appliance is simply doing passive monitoring then that should be okay.

You could also try something like this:

Switch 1 - mirror port 48, port 48 untagged VLAN2, monitor VLAN1 - connect port 48 to port 48 of Switch 2.

Switch 2 - mirror port 49, port 48 and 49 untagged VLAN2, monitor port 48 and VLAN1 - connect 49 to port 48 of Switch 3.

Switch 3 - mirror port 49, port 48 and 49 untagged VLAN2, monitor port 48 and VLAN1 - connect 49 to appliance.

I've never tried this so I'm making no promises that this will work.

With this type of topology you can't enable spanning-tree as it will block ports that you don't wish to be blocked.