108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 2650,static ARP

SOLVED
Go to solution
allensting

Procurve 2650,static ARP

Hi,

for first time to manage Procurve 2650 switches.

How to make a static arp entry in Procurve 2650? Dose this switch have this featrue ?

Thaks!
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

The 2600 does not have this feature. In the ProCurve range I believe it is only the 9300/9400's that have this. Probably the 8100's too but I haven't checked.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Out of mostly idle curiousity, why do you want to add a static ARP entry to the switch?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
allensting

Thanks a lot! Matt Hobbs!

Hi rick, My core switches were confused ,, some ARP cheating. I try static ARP entries in some cisco L2 switches temporarily. it seems efficaciously, so I want to do it in other HP switches...

the 2650s couldnt do this, any more ideal?

thank u for sharing...

I'm from China :P
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Are you using the 2650's as layer 3 devices, i.e. is 'ip routing' enabled?

There are some other security features you can possibly use to help prevent this problem.

I would also recommend you look through Chapters 8 and 9 in the Access Security Guide:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/2600-2800-4100-6108-Security-Oct2005-59906024.pdf

There is a new feature, IP lockdown, mentioned in the release notes for H.08.98:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/2600-RelNotes-h0898-59906003.pdf
allensting

Hi,

I just use 2650s as layer 2 switches.

too many different access switches in the intranet, too many works to manage all the access ports with port-based protocol.

make some important IP-MAC (i.e. SVI ip / gateway ip / standby ip) fixed is easy...

Thanks for your sharing!
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'm still a triffle confused - perhaps it was all the fumes while I was spray-painting my daughters' picnic table this morning :)

what do you mean by ARP cheating?

if the switches are acting as layer 2 devices how would putting a permanent ARP entry into their (presumably management) ARP tables help?

were you trying to get some sort of proxy-ARP thing going and having the switch(es) respond to ARP requests? you'd still have the possible issue of needing to block the ARP replies from the host(s) involved
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'm still a triffle confused - perhaps it was all the fumes from spray-painting my daughters' picnic table this morning :)

what do you mean by ARP cheating?

if the switches are acting as layer 2 devices how would putting a permanent ARP entry into their (presumably management) ARP tables help?

were you trying to get some sort of proxy-ARP thing going and having the switch(es) respond to ARP requests? you'd still have the possible issue of needing to block the ARP replies from the host(s) involved