5510 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: - Procurve 2724 -

S-tog a s
Frequent Advisor

- Procurve 2724 -

Hi Forum,

Can anyone plase help me to configure the following MAC binding from the Windows world into my Procurve 2724 J4897A switch :

Arp -s IP MAC -n INTERFACE

I need this option cos of a log server that can't transmit but still need the receive data.

Thanks a lot in advance ;-)
-Claus Bohm-
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

If yo uwant to add the Switch's MAC address on your Windows machine then :

Arp -s

Example:

arp -s 157.55.85.212 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 ....

And you want to do it the otherway, then you should know that the ProCurve 2700 series are unmannaged switches.

don;t forget to assign points, Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
S-tog a s
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mohieddin Kharnoub,

Do you know how to configre a Cisco 2970 switch for the same purpose!?!

Best reg,
-Claus Bohm-
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hello my Friend

I appreciate your Trust in ProCurve Guys to fix a Problem with Cisco Devices.

Here you go:
(config)# arp interface_name ip_address mac_address

Well, ProCurve Guys do this usually for free, excpet for Cisco, its not free, you have to assign points my friend :)

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
rick jones
Honored Contributor

As already pointed-out the 2724 is an unmanaged switch, it just does layer-2 stuff like a good switch should :)

I would think that if you wanted to be setting a hard-coded IP address to MAC binding, it would be on the sending system(s), not the switch(es).

Now, if these "switches" also had layer-3 functionality (ie they could pretend to be routers) and were acting as routers for remote systems, then I could see someone wanting to hardcode the setting in the _router_ portion of the switch.

Finally, I assume that the logging is sent to the logging server via UDP or some other "best effort, no ACKing" protocol? That is the only way I could see one having a "receive-only" logging server. TCP and the like require ACK's to flow back to the sender...
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
S-tog a s
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for you advise ;-)