Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753797 Members
7306 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 2800 - Trunked ports, pass vlan'd ports?

Karl Pielorz
Occasional Contributor

Procurve 2800 - Trunked ports, pass vlan'd ports?

Hi,

We've got 2 * Procurve 2800's - which we've configured with two trunked ports:

"
trunk 45,47 Trk1 Trunk
"

These go off to another switch (which is similarly configured).

On the first switch we have some untagged vlan ports, e.g.

"
vlan 20
name "ISP_Net"
untagged 13-24
no ip address
exit
"

On the second switch - we also have the above setup (same ports, same vlan ID)

The two switches can 'see' each other as far as stcaking goes (the first switch is the stack commander - and it can see/configure the second switch fine).

However - traffic for the vlan'd ports doesn't appear to pass to the 2nd switch.

i.e. If we plug in a device into switch #1 port 13 - and a second device into switch #2 port 13 - they are not able to 'see' each other.

Do they have to be tagged or something to cross over from one switch to the other? - I've seen a couple of forums where people mention you have to configure the trunk for 802.1q in order to pass vlan info - but can't find any other info other than that.

We're using untagged vlans as none of our kit actually needs/uses vlans - we're just using it as a way of partitioning the switch ports on the switch (and disabling the gui/switch management from being available on these ports, as that's only available in the 'DEFAULT_VLAN'.

If anyones got any pointers?

Thanks,

-Karl
3 REPLIES 3
EckerA
Respected Contributor

Hi,
if all the traffic from all vlans should go via trk1 then just tagg trk1 to all vlans:

conf
vlan 20
tagged trk1
exit
wr mem

that should do the trick..

hth
alex
Karl Pielorz
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that (perhaps unsurprisingly) fixed it...

Thanks,

-Karl
Karl Pielorz
Occasional Contributor

I guess with all the other ports using 'untagged' vlans, the trunk got overlooked - especially as remote management of the other stacked switch did work :)