108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 2810 VLAN Tagging on Trunk Group issue

INR
Advisor

Procurve 2810 VLAN Tagging on Trunk Group issue

Hi all.

We have an issue and we don't know how to solve it. Let me explain it:

We have two Procurves 2810-24Ports connected each one to a switch GbE2c on blade enclosure.

There is defined a trunk group in GbE2c as well as in procurve 2810 (GbE2c port 22 and 23, procurve ports 13 and 15 -> Trk1). There is also a trunk group that joins procurve switches (ports 23 and 24 -> Trk2).

Blade servers are redHat and their two NIC are configured on LACP bonding.

All of these ports belongs to one specific VLAN (ports and trunks are untagged) and everything works fine.

Just now, we have a requirement that implies to define another VLAN and it's when all our problems start. We've configured GbE2c ports (22 and 23) and tag them belonging to diferent VLANs, we've also configured blade servers to belong to diferent VLANs (and their GbE2c ports), but when we configure Trk1 on procurve as tagged to diferent VLANs, all our servers loose connectivity.

Could please someone help me? Can Procurve 2810 tag trunk groups? and GbE2c? are LACP packets on Linux servers involved on that? Is there a better way to do it?

Thank you so much and best regards.
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Sukharev
Valued Contributor

INR,

Tagging mode of each VLAN should match on both sides of a trunk. Probably traffic is tagged by GbE2c but considered to be untagged on ProCurve side. You should check that.

You can try to troubleshoot this way. Set up IP addresses for each VLAN on both sides of a trunk, then from one switch ping both IPs of another. If both pings are OK, then VLANs work fine, and the problem seems to be in Linux.

When I made interface in Linux to receive and send tagged traffic I created subinterfaces like eth0.40.

HTH,
Oleg

INR
Advisor

Hi Oleg

Thank you for your quick answer. I thought exactly what you say but the problem is just that. If I make this trunk group vlan tagged, servers will loose conectivity.

Let me show a partial data of each config that are actually running (ports 23 and 24 of GbE2c are connected to ports 13 and 15 of Procurve):

GbE2c:
/c/port 23
tag ena
pvid 5
/c/port 24
tag ena
pvid 5
/c/l2/vlan 5
ena
name "VLAN Data"
def ... 23 24 ....

/c/l2/trunk 2
add 22
add 23
ena

Procurve:
trunk 13,15 Trk1 Trunk
trunk 23-24 Trk2 Trunk

vlan 5
name "VLAN Data"
untagged ... Trk1-Trk2 ....
no ip address
exit

Linux ifcfg:
VLAN=yes
DEVICE=vlan5

As you can see, just now, GbE2c is VLAN Tagging enable and everything is running OK. If I config Procurve trunks as tagged, it's when connectivity is broken.

Thank you.
Antonio Milanese
Trusted Contributor

Hi INR,

don't be fooled by differences in HP/Cisco networking jargon:

as Oleg say you should mirror each VLAN membership on HP side of LACP group:

a) you should add tagged membership to TRK interface to mirror each GB2EC tagged vlan
b) you could have only one untagged membership (equate to CISCO "access vlan") that by default is native VLAN1

"trunk" on HP jargon is more like "channel group" and do no translate to Cisco "mode trunk" and so doesn't automatically carries each enabled tagged VLAN.

Hope this solve your doubt,

Antonio
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

Specifically, you will see how "tagged", "trunk" "port channel" "ether channel", "access" "untagged" are all referenced - side-by-side.

hth...Jeff
INR
Advisor

Hi all.

Yes, when we talk about trunk group on HP it's equivalent to ether channel.

We've made some modifications without success. The change we made was to drop vlan tagging on all ports involved on GbE2c switches and everything worked fine, but when we tagged these trunks on Procurve traffic was dropped.

So, it seems that VLAN tagging enable/disable on trunks port on GbE2c switch doesn't affect at all.

Perhaps, the issue is relative to trunk group and Native VLAN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN_Tagging) but I don't know how to configure GbE2c and Procurve.

Best regards.