1748102 Members
5352 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 2824 not showing IP address

Nikunj Damani
Advisor

Procurve 2824 not showing IP address

As the subject says, my Procurve 2824 does not show the IP address as to which port is connected to which IP address. Is it even possible? If so, how do I change the settings to do it? I have checked the help but no luck. All my switches are procurve and I would like to have that functionality on all the switches. Can I also do it in Procurve Manager software?

Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
brakerm19
Occasional Advisor

if you ping each address from within the switch the port and client IP address and MAC address will be listed if you

switch1# show arp

you can also show the mac address with the associated port number

switch1# show mac
Nikunj Damani
Advisor

Thank you.
I am not sure where to enter switch1# statement
Also, do I enter switch1 or in what format do I enter?
Please elaborate.

Thank you.
Josh Boyer
Advisor

Hello,

You do not apply ip addresses directly to a port as you would a firewall or a router.

You apply the ip address to the vlan interface so if your switch only has its default configuration you would have only one vlan and you would do the following at the CLI.

Enter configuration mode and type:

vlan 1
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
exit

You should then be able to access the switch via the IP address.

Regards,
Nikunj Damani
Advisor

Thank you for the reply.
I am a noob at this and still learning so please bear with me.
OK. Went to the CLI and checked out the VLan settings but did not understand it. At the command prompt, I entered vlan 1 and it said that it is an 'invalid input'.
I checked that the VLAN ID is 1, name is DEFAULT_VLAN, VLan type is Static and the ports are untagged.
Now the question is what do I enter in the CLI?

Thank you.
Josh Boyer
Advisor

Sorry I should have read your original post more carefully I don├в t think my first post concerns what you are trying to accomplish it shows how to apply an IP address to your switch so you can reach it.

However, in response to your last post you would need to be in configuration mode for the command ├в vlan 1├в to work to enter configuration mode type ├в configure terminal├в or ├в conf t├в . If you do change vlan 1├в s ip address this will be the IP address you use to connect to your switch so if you already have an ip address set for remote access then I would leave it alone (unless it├в s not correct).

To determine If you vlan 1 (default_vlan) already has an ip address you can just use the ├в show run├в command and you should see if listed as below:

Vlan 1
Default_vlan
Untagged 1-24
Ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
Exit

That being said├в ┬жWhat I think you are asking and what brakern19 already answered was how do I find out what device IP addresses (e.g computer, printer, server) are connected to each of your switch ports?

You should be able to enter the "show arp" command at either of the following prompts

switchname#

switchname(config)#

So for example:

switchname# ping 192.168.1.X (for each of the ip addresses in your network)

Then you can run the ├в show arp├в like this:

switchname#show arp

It should then show a list of the IP addresses and the corresponding ports the switch used to reach the end device.

Please ensure you give points to brakerm19 and not myself as he has the correct answer I├в m just elaborating.

Regards,
Josh Boyer
Advisor

***removed strange symbols***

Sorry I should have read your original post more carefully I don't think my first post concerns what you are trying to accomplish it shows how to apply an IP address to your switch so you can reach it.

However, in response to your last post you would need to be in configuration mode for the command "vlan 1" to work to enter configuration mode type "configure terminal" or "conf t". If you do change vlan's ip address this will be the IP address you use to connect to your switch so if you already have an ip address set for remote access then I would leave it alone (unless it's not correct).

To determine If you vlan 1 (default_vlan) already has an ip address you can just use the "show run" command and you should see if listed as below:

Vlan 1
Default_vlan
Untagged 1-24
Ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
Exit

That being said...What I think you are asking and what brakern19 already answered was how do I find out what device IP addresses (e.g computer, printer, server) are connected to each of your switch ports?

You should be able to enter the "show arp" command at either of the following prompts

switchname#

switchname(config)#

So for example:

switchname# ping 192.168.1.X (for each of the ip addresses in your network)

Then you can run the "how arp" like this:

switchname#show arp

It should then show a list of the IP addresses and the corresponding ports the switch used to reach the end device.

Please ensure you give points to brakerm19 and not myself as he has the correct answer I'm just elaborating.

Regards,
brakerm19
Occasional Advisor

Are you trying to find the IP address of the switch?

OR

Are you trying to find the IP address of a client device connected to the switch?

the 'switch1#' is the CLI prompt. this is not a command you type.

at the CLI prompt (switchname#)

type: show management

This will show all address assigned to the switch.
Nikunj Damani
Advisor

I am trying to find the IP addresses of all the devices connected to that switch.
I know the IP address of the switch but when I go to web interface or when I telnet to the switch, I cannot see the ip addresses of the devices connected to the ports of that switch.

Josh Boyer
Advisor

Nikunj,

Have you been able to get the "show arp" command to work yet?