New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 4000m and NTP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Elad_2
Occasional Advisor

Procurve 4000m and NTP

Hi,

Im trying to configure ntp on HP switch 4000m to synchronize with ntpd on linux machine.

I have timep and sntp, whats the differences between the two ?

I tried choosing timep but it didn't work, anyone familiar with this problem ?
5 REPLIES 5
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor
Solution

When you are using ntpd as the server, sntp is the choice to be used in Procurve.

This kind of configuration can be used on Procurve 2524 and others, maybe on 4000m also (4000m users please correct):

sntp server 192.168.12.5 4
sntp unicast
timesync sntp

(the 4 there is the version of the NTP server, commonly 4 nowadays, check your ntpd if any doubt)
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

And about the differences, http://www.cts.ucla.edu/TimeSync.html (for example) mentions different time protocols. I guess the RFC868-specified protocol is the "timep" Procurve uses. NTP/SNTP is more commonly used today.
Elad_2
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your response,

Elad.
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Then hand out some points. :)
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

1. One problem that I had when using SNTP on my 4000Ms was this: the SWT (firmware version C.09.16) started with a date of 1-Jan-1990 after each electrical power outage (cold reboot). I had no choice than to revert to TimeP - maybe I was not so skilled at setting-up SNTP on both SWT and the NTP server.

2. To use TimeP you'll need a TimeP server somewhere in your LAN. My contractor wrote an NTP-to-TimeP conversion application for my Linux box that I currently use as TimeP server. He wrote that because previos versions of 4000M firmware only understood TimeP. If you need the app I can send it to you.

3. Set SNTP on the SWT, check the time, then unplug it and plug it back. If the date is 1-Jan-1990, I guess you'll prefer TimeP - unless you have UPS that last for 72 hors.

Cheers,
Dan