Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procurve 4100 vlan limit

Magnus_18
Advisor

Procurve 4100 vlan limit

The current limit of number of vlans on the 4100-series switches is 30. Can we expect this to change in the future (with a new firmware)?

The 2600-series recently got a new firmware that enables them to use 253 vlans simultaneously, so it would be interesting to know if it would be technically possible to do this for the 4100-series as well.

We use a number of 4104 and 4108, and the 30-vlan limit is starting to become problem.

/ Magnus
3 REPLIES
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Procurve 4100 vlan limit

Magnus,

there should not be a problem for HP to implement 254 VLANs in the software for the HP 4100 series switches, just as you said it has been done for the 2600 series. But I do not think this would help you much, since you can always use IP subnet masks other than the standard masks for Class C or B - so you can put more computers on a single IP subnet (usually associated with a VLAN). That is, of course, if you're using TCP/IP

I hope this helps you.
Dan
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Magnus,

Physically it should be possible but this will probably slow down the box to much due to the memorycapacity, so probably this will never happen.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Magnus_18
Advisor

Thank you for your replies.

I'm slightly confused why this wouldn't work with the 4100 switches, when it works with the 2600 switches?

Also, I wouldn't need over 200 VLANs. 60 would be plenty, for example. We have a number of computers and devices that need to be separated for administrative and sometimes legal reasons.

/ Magnus