4604 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 5300XL Tuning SNMP Traps

A.Eryilmaz
Valued Contributor

Procurve 5300XL Tuning SNMP Traps

Procurve 5308XL

Is it possible to modify which "well-known" traps are sent to my trap receiver? I do not want to send link down/up traps, only cold starts.

Thanks. Amy
6 REPLIES 6
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

It is possible to tweak event MIB OIDs to not send specific traps. You can also configure PCM+ to ignore "unknown" and "link" traps.

You should think this through though before you shoot the messenger. It is better to receive most traps and create action rules on the specific traps you want, like "cold start".
A.Eryilmaz
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info, Les. Do you know the CLI command for tweaking? I'm not a Procurve admin and don't have access to the PCM. I'm on the management station (trap receiver) side and need to assist the Procurve admin with the SNMP config.
A.Eryilmaz
Valued Contributor

Pls excuse my ignorance on the subject, Les, I'm new to Procurves. I see now that PCM is a separate management tool. I'm using NNM so PCM doesn't apply here.
My goal is to find a CLI command for turning off link down/link up traps. I still want to get cold starts. Is it possible to do something like --

snmp-server host coldstart

Unfortunately I don't have access to the device to try it out myself.

Thanks.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if there are any CLI commands to do what you want, but if you are game to poke some MIB OIDs, you should follow your nose to iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).rmon(16).event(9).eventTable(1).eventEntry(1).eventType(3)

712 is Cold Start
713 is Link Down
714 is Link Up
The value 4=logandtrap while 1=none

I still don't understand why you want to kill the messenger. Frequent link toggles are a classic symptom of underlying problems and should be logged and managed, not silenced.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I just realized you might want the CLI command to do that.

setmib 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.1.3.713 -i 1
setmib 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.1.3.714 -i 1

It does not prompt with "are you sure?"
followed by "are you sure you are sure?"

Well, if you change your mind, you can set it back to the defaults with:
setmib 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.1.3.713 -i 4
setmib 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.1.3.714 -i 4

;)
A.Eryilmaz
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Les! I'll check those setmib commands out. I understand normally I would want link traps, but in this particular case I do not need to have those sent to my NNM station.