cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procurve 5308XL and Windows Browsing across VLANs

Roy McKenzie
Occasional Visitor

Procurve 5308XL and Windows Browsing across VLANs

I've got a 5308XL setup to route between 5 separate VLANs and IP subnets. My main servers are on a 192.168.1.x network, including DNS and WINS. I have several desktops with static addresses that have been relocated to a new subnet (192.168.6.x). They have DNS and WINS addresses pointed to those servers in the 1.x network. However, they cannot browse to Windows servers nor load-balanced Citrix farms in he 1.x subnet. Is there any command line option that I can use to place these subnets into a single broadcast domain for browsing purposes (if that's even the correct terminology)? Thanks ahead for any assistance!
1 REPLY
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Procurve 5308XL and Windows Browsing across VLANs

IP helper-address is what you want:

"The IP address of a UDP application server (such as a BootP or DHCP server) or a directed broadcast address. IP helper addresses allow the routing switch
to forward requests for certain UDP applications from a client on one sub-net to a server on another sub-net."

See P10-74 of

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59906051.pdf

It goes something like:

vlan x
ip helper-address A.B.C.D

where A.B.C.D is the IP address of a device on another VLAN that should receive the broadcasts. You can also do something like A.B.C.255 and rebroadcast everything to everyone on the other VLAN.

On a Cisco you can tell it what UDP ports you want to pass with

ip forward-protocol udp xxx

but I don't see the command in the manual. I guess you can limit what passes via an ACL.

You can also put the address of the WINS and DNS in the ...\etc\LMHOSTS file on each machine.

Ron