108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve 5308xl

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

Procurve 5308xl

I have a "data dedupliction" device connected to a PRocurve 5308xl switch. I have configured the "device" to trunk 4 ports. I have viewed the ports on the "device" and they all show the same MAC address.

My question is, what is the best way to connect this "device" to the switch(ie. trunk, lacp). when I connected the ports to the switch it did not create a dyn# trunk, so I guess I need to create a trunk in some way.

Thanks!

Darren
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Procurve 5308xl

I seem to recall that the 5300 series came with LACP disabled on all ports by default. If your device has been configured to create an LACP trunk all you should need to do is enable lacp passive mode on each of the ports connected to it.

conf
int A1-A4 lacp passive
wr mem

Do a show lacp to see if the trunk comes up.

showneek
Respected Contributor

Hi,

only notice... if you create dynamic trunk you will be not able to change some parameters such a vlan on trunk link. The dynamic trunk takes default port parameters and cannot be changed.

So for example if you need to have new trunk in different vlan, create static trunk instead of dynamic and add new trk# to vlan.

trunk a1,a2 trk1
...for non protocol static trunk

trunk a1,a2 trk1 lacp
... for LACP static trunk
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

I have tried configuring the 5308xl switch both ways and neither create a trunk. (or show a trunk when i use the show lacp command. The only way I get a "trunk" is if I use the trunk config command "trunk a10,b10,c10,d10 trk5 lacp. But when i just use the trunk command, it only seems to use one port on my switch.... any ideas... BTW this is a "datadomain" box and below is the output of the "net aggregate show" command:

Ifname Hardware Address Aggregation Mode Configured Interfaces
------ ----------------- --------------------- --------------------------
veth4 00:15:17:f0:01:b2 balance hash xor-L3L4 eth4a, eth4b, eth5a, eth5b
------ ----------------- --------------------- --------------------------
showneek
Respected Contributor

If you create non-protocol static trunk, LACP static trunk or LACP dynamic trunk there is always only one method of distributing outbound traffic.

It uses the conversations based on Source Address/Destination Address hash (L2 in most cases, or L3). All packets of known conversation (SA/DA hash) are sent through the same link. For new conversation switch can pick another link in the trunk. So if there is a small number of conversation or low traffic it is possible the switch will use only one link.

More conversations (more unique communication) = better load sharing. The switch makes decisions completely independent of what is on the other side of trunk.