1753447 Members
4933 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve Manager Plus not picking up Switch Events

Gabriel Aguilo
Frequent Advisor

Procurve Manager Plus not picking up Switch Events

I recently upgraded to the latest version of Procurve manager, and it doesnt correctly work at all.

Weve configured all our Procurve switches with the correct SNMP Host and community settings, and they appear correctly in the configuration pages of PCM+.

However, when we look at the Traffic monitor / Event viewer, nothing seems to work. We repeatedly get errors on any ports we try to monitor in the Traffic Monitor config, and the Sampler data just appears as "No data".

Added to this the Event viewer does not pick up any of the events that the switches log, even though we have setup the Trap receivers correctly. I just receive Major errors, where it says that:

"The SNMP request for Ease segment xxx.xxx.x.xxx_port_A1 in state 8 failed. SNMP error = 5, index = 1."

Does anyone know where we could have gone wrong? Its found our switches, but at the moment the software isnt much use at all.

Thanks for any help you can give
6 REPLIES 6
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

By latest, do you mean 1.6?

My guess is that you don't have the community strings set right in PCM+.

Is it TrapLog or SysLog that you have setup? Normally SysLog is what mirrors the switches local log but then you talk about trap receivers.
Gabriel Aguilo
Frequent Advisor

Yes, 1.6 + is installed.

The Community strings have all been set correctly - we doubled checked that they were pointing at the right community. We have setup our own here, not "public".

"Is it TrapLog or SysLog that you have setup? Normally SysLog is what mirrors the switches local log but then you talk about trap receivers."

?? Ive read the PCM+ Manual a few times, were does it talk about setting up a mirrored SysLog? It just says to setup Trap receivers and SNMP settings, and the rest will be auto matic.

Is it possible to get the SysLog on the PCM?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gabriel
Gabriel Aguilo
Frequent Advisor

OK I did some more reading and found the Syslog information - I have now set this up for all my switches - please ignore my skimming reading technique!

Traffic Monitor still doesnt work in PCM for my switches though - it is not receiving any information through ("No data") and similar errors mentioned above.

Thanks,

Gabriel

Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

There are two places to set the SNMP community; default and per device. Check in Device Manager to be sure you set the community name used by PCM as "Management".

Can we assume that SysLog is working for you now? How about TrapLog?

I have yet to upgrade so have no first-hand experience with Traffic Monitor with 1.6 but 1.5 works for me. Did you do an in-place upgrade from 1.5 or a fresh install?
Gabriel Aguilo
Frequent Advisor

Yes, Syslog is now working OK

However the trap log still doesnt work.

Why would I need to setup another SNMP community? Shouldnt the one we have already be enough for PCM? Ive configured this directly via the CLI on the Procuvre Switches...

Ta,

Gabriel
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I did not say you had to setup another SNMP community, only that the same community name and "Management" setting must be defined in Device Manager.

How are the Trap Receivers setup in Device Manager? Have you added the PCM server with at least NOT INFO? If you have it set to NONE, then you get none.

How do you know that traps are not received? Perhaps the switches have no traps to send. As a test, setup a second trap receiver on another box using different software and see if it is getting the traps.