108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve Manager problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Globboid
Occasional Contributor

Procurve Manager problem

I'v installed Procurve Manager Plus, but it does not represent the topology of my network.

When I open Network Map menu, "A Network Map does not exist because, Topology Discovery has not run." message appears ans all devaces are listed as Un-Mapped Devices.

What is wrong?

I'm using Procurve 9304, 3400cl and 2824 Switces in my network.
10 REPLIES 10
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Procurve Manager problem

Just some quick advice to start with.

1. If using PCM 2.1, make sure to apply Update 6
2. Update the firmware on the switches to the latest releases
3. Try rebooting the PCM server.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

One other thing, if you've set the discovery starting address to the 9300, try one of the other switches instead.

With the newer firmware on the 3400's and 2800's they do not send CDP packets so the 9300 will not have any entries in its CDP table. I suspect this may cause some issues during the topology discovery.
Globboid
Occasional Contributor

I do it, but I have no result :(
Hector Manzo
HPE Pro
Solution

Mapping of the devices should be done though LLDP ( on the 3400 and 2800). Make sure your switches are reporting the correct information by executing the command: " show lldp info remote-device ". This output should reflect the ports though which switches are interconnected.

Also make sure communication between the PCM server and the switch is successful by executing "test communication parameters in PCM" on the switches not being mapped.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Ted Nguyen
Advisor

Have you tried restarting the PC? There could be a timing issue with mapping that might be fixed with restarting. Good luck.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Try from the PCM+ server to ping the switches, it should be ok, then you can try to use the manual discovery.

Try also Hector's advice regarding the LLDP.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Globboid
Occasional Contributor

It seems to me that I understand the problem.
PCM makes it's maps basing on FDP/CDP/LLDP protocols.

My 3400cl and 2428 switches are not connected to each other, they are connected to 9304m switch

3400cl and 2428 use LLDP protocol and don't understand FDP protocol

9304m uses FDP and don't understand LLDP

All the switces can read CDP packets, but they cannot generate them :(

And because of this PCM cannot build a map (9304 gives nothing through FDP, and 3400&2428 gives nothing through LLDP).

Can somebody suggest a desigion of this problem?
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

In PCM's second phase of the discovery process, ARP discovery is used to find any other active network devices (in ARP tables) that are not discovered via LLDP, CDP or FDP.

So if you have the 9300, 3400 and 2400 each on different subnet, and you are sure that your PCM server can reach all of them.

Why don;t you go for Manual Discovery, it will read each switch's Arp table and build your network in this Special Case with the use of the 9300 that doesn;t support LLDP.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor