Did you mean: 

Procurve OS Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony_272
Occasional Visitor

Procurve OS Upgrade

Hi,
I am trying to upgrade the OS version on our Procurve 4000m's (3 that are stacked). We are currently running version 8.22, Rom ver 6.01.
I am using Procurve Manager Software Update Wizard. When I select to upgrade to version 9.22, I get the Upgrade failed error and the switches are no longer responsive. I need to power them off to get back up and running.
Any ideas?

Thanks
T
2 REPLIES
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Procurve OS Upgrade

I am not familiar with the 4000 but it looks like maybe you are trying to skip a few versions. Check the release notes that ships with the code as it may have instructions saying you need to do it in two steps.
Kevin Richter_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Procurve OS Upgrade

I just took a 4000M switch in our lab a put it back on C.08.22 firmware (C.06.01 ROM). Next I used the Firmware Update Wizard in ProCurve Manager Plus (PCM+) ver 1.6 (Product Version B.01.607) to update this switch. The firmware transfer and reboot succeeded without incident.

Therefore, I know that there are no ROM version dependencies required for the update. Further, I know that PCM+ 1.6 can successfully perform the operation you're attempting.

The commands used by PCM+ to complete the firmware scan and trigger the update are SNMP. Be sure your read-only and read-write community strings in PCM match those set on the switch.

Otherwise, back to basic troubleshooting to see how and where your switches "hung." I used a packet capture (using an inline hub) to confirm the SNMP commands issued by PCM to my switch. Perhaps something could be seen through a direct serial console session to your switch during the update attempt?
Check the cabling. Next, check the cabling again.