Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procurve Switch Hanging

SOLVED
Go to solution
CHAD RENDELL
Advisor

Procurve Switch Hanging

I have a Procurve 4000 Switch fully populated. For some reason all the lights were solid green both link and activity. After about 10 minutes the switch just fixed it self. What would cause this.

Thanks for the help
7 REPLIES
CHAD RENDELL
Advisor

Re: Procurve Switch Hanging

Sorry some other information.
The switch is in a closed LAN and no outside links ie internet. It is brand new out of the box and has only been used for the past week with no issues unitl today.

Seems to be working fine and all the servers and workstations seem to be ok aswell. One of our admins were trying to view a SQL document at time it hung.
Jorge Rodriquez
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Sounds like a cabling issue.
CHAD RENDELL
Advisor

Well eveything was working fine then all of a sudden the switch hung. If it was a cabling issue then I would think it would have been apparent right away
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

What does the log show for that time period? Maybe someone created a loop causing a broadcast storm. Have you enabled STP to prevent loops? What version of firmware?
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

When you say "all the lights were solid green" do you mean ports that do not have anything connected? If that is the case, it sounds like the switch went into a reboot/POST but 10 minutes is way too long for a POST. Once again, the log may be able to shed some light on what happened.
CHAD RENDELL
Advisor

All ports are fully populated..
I am checking logs now.

Thanks
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

I've seen this behaviour once.
The problem then was a virus.
SQL blaster had infected a few SQL servers, and they were scanning a lot.
One machine was even responsible for 90% of all traffic.

I found out by sniffing on a port.
If you see lots arp requests for different ip-addresses, than you probably have a "scanning" virus on the loose.