108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve VLAN problems - 2650 4108

SOLVED
Go to solution
Meastaugh1
Advisor

Procurve VLAN problems - 2650 4108

I urgently need to implement a VLAN on my previously un-VLANned network.

In addition to the primary DEFAULT_VLAN(1), I have created a second VLAN: ACCESSCONTROL(2).

At one end I have a computer with an Intel network card that is 802.1Q compliant. I have enabled VLAN and added the VLANs which has created the appropriate virtual adapters. Since the VLAN1 is the primary VLAN, it should pick up an IP address from the DHCP server. I've set a static IP on the VLAN2 adapter.

On the switch to which the computer is attached (4108gl), I've set the computer and uplink port to tag both VLANs. All other ports have their default setting which is untagged for VLAN1 and and No for VLAN2. All other servers are attached to this switch, including the DHCP server.

On the interconnecting switches (2650), I've added the second VLAN and tagged VLAN1 and VLAN2 on the two connecting ports, again all other ports have their default setting.

On the last switch (2600-8PWR) to which the mifare readers are attached, I've set the VLAN1 and VLAN2 to tag on uplink ports. On the ports where the readers are attached, these are set to untagged for VLAN2 (as the devices are not 802.1Q compliant) with no access to VLAN1.

GVRP is disabled on all switches.

The result of the above configuration was that the VLAN 1 adapter on the computer did not pick up an IP address. I tried setting an IP address manually, but unsurprisingly it would not connect to anything. VLAN2 would not connect to a mifare reader with a static address set.

When I changed settings on the computer and switch1 to untag VLAN1, it connects to VLAN1 and gets an IP ok, but VLAN2 still doesn't work.

I've also tried turning off VLAN1 at the computer end, and untagging VLAN2, I still cannot ping the devices on VLAN2.

Please excuse the crude diagram.
6 REPLIES 6
RicN
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Procurve VLAN problems - 2650 4108

The switch configuration looks correct, maybe the 802.1Q-aware network card is not working as expected?

If you set a static address on first the NIC on VLAN1 and try to ping something, then at least you should send out an ARP request. Look at the mac-address-table of VLAN1 at first switch 4108 and see if it has picked up your mac address from the ARP packet. Do the same (set static IP for VLAN2) and see if the switch puts the address in the correct mac-address-table.

If not, then the server probably does not tag the frames correctly.
Meastaugh1
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check the table when I'm back in work tomorrow.

If that is the case, when I set the switch attached to the server to VLAN2 untagged (with VLAN1=No), shouldn't it ping the static reader on the 2600-8 switch? Thanks
RicN
Valued Contributor

>If that is the case, when I set the switch
>attached to the server to VLAN2 untagged
>(with VLAN1=No), shouldn't it ping the
>static reader on the 2600-8 switch? Thanks

If you set the server port to untag VLAN2 and the Mifare Reader is located on an untagged VLAN2 port then it should absolutly work. (And the 802.1Q disabled on the server NIC.)

There is no risk that you have misconfigured the tagging of VLAN2 on any of the 2650 switches uplinks?
Meastaugh1
Advisor

There was nothing wrong with the config, the computer I was using to test the VLAN refused to connect to any tagged VLAN. It is an on-board Intel pro connection (on intel D965MSCK). I added the VLANs and the driver created the virtual network adapters accordingly, but these would not connect to any other device on either VLAN, whether it was tagged or not. It would only connect to an untagged VLAN if I removed all the VLANs from the driver and it operated as a non-VLAN aware device. I tried uninstalling the driver and installing the newest one, but still no connection. I tried another computer (same mainboard) on the same port, set up it's VLANs and it was fine. Thankfully the computer with the problem was just my management workstation, and not the production server.

Thanks for your help.
RicN
Valued Contributor

Just glad to be able to give some advice!

Good to hear that your problem worked out.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

good luck
cenk