4350 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve VLAN question

SOLVED
Go to solution
SM50

Procurve VLAN question

We currently use procurve switches in a star all going back to the core switch. I have one PoE switch that is uplinked off of another that runs fiber to the core switch.I am adding a new vlan for wireless, Vlan 20. My question is on tagging this vlan back to the core switch. I tagged the uplink on my PoE switch for the default vlan 1 and vlan 20, this makes the switch lose connectivity. I have to go in and tag the other end of the uplink for 1 and 20 which gives me back connection. When you tag a uplink must you tag both ends? Also when I have the route for vlan 20 going to the core switch do I tag the uplink going from the switch to the router for internet access? and will this make the other switches that are untagged on default vlan 1 lose internet access?

Thanks for any input you might have.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

sure: you have to configure encapsulation on both end of the links in the same way. By default VLAN 1 is not tagged (using 802.1q encapsulation) on Procurves. So you can also run your uplink: VLAN 1 untagged and VLAN 20 tagged. Also watch out for your router (i.e Cisco router): If the VLAN 1 is the native VLAN it will be untagged, too. If you want to transport QoS information on VLAN 1, then you have to tag it, too.

Cheers,

Michael
Ingentive Networks GmbH
SM50

Thanks for clearing some of that up michael,

So for say port 24 being the uplink , that port can have vlan1 untagged but also have vlan 20 and vlan 30 tagged? I thought if the port had a untagged vlan it could not have others tagged.

Im new to VLANS
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

thats it. General rules for VLAN configuration on a ProCurve switch:

1) A port has to be memmber of at least one VLAN. Default member ship is VLAN 1.
2) A port can only be one time as "untagged" member.
3) A port can have multiple "tagged" memberships.
4) Tagged and Untagged can be used at the same time on one port.
5) VLAN configuration has to be symmetric on both ends.
6) If 802.1p QoS values should survive within the LAN, the VLAN has to be tagged.

If you follow these rules, it should work for you.

Cheers,

Michael
Ingentive Networks GmbH