Honored Contributor

Re: Procurve VLANs and Routing Issues

you are welcome Nigel
cenk

Nigel Lawson
Occasional Advisor

@ Pieter

I want to use VLANs for monitoring. I'd like to have all VLANs and routing handled by the 2824 and then connect any number of switches and PCs to the 2824 and monitor activity of the individual subnets.

The Intel router I currently have seems to handle this without any problems. But I want to replace it as it really is getting on a bit and I fear it may fail any day now.

I did manage to achieve semi what I was after by adding multiple IP addresses to the default_vlan. So I assigned 192.168.77.240 and 192.168.78.240 to the default_vlan and all traffic routed perfectly and I could connect any PC to any port on the 2824 and the 2524. The only problem was when it came to logging, all traffic went through default_vlan so I couldn't view the activity of each subnet separately.

Any other ideas?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Hi Nigel,
I guess with the intel router you didn't use vlan's at all.
You used multiple subnet's on the same lan (sometimes called multinet).
All devices are connected at layer-2 and the intel router did it's job to link the subnets together at layer-3.
In this setup it's no different if you use hub's or switches. you only have a single lan.

when using vlan's you really separate traffic within the switch creating different lan's (not possible with common hubs).
after this you must do something extra to make the vlan's talk to one another (routing).

I'm not sure I understand your question about logging?
who is doing the logging and what do you want to log?
Nigel Lawson
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pieter,

I use MRTG (http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/) to create graphs for of the VLANs. A little more research shows that the VLANs on the Intel router are true VLANs, they appear to be very early implementation of VLANs.

I'll see what I can setup via SNMP on the 2824 and if that fails, I may have to look at the kit I'm trying to use and maybe get something different.

Cheers,
Nigel
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Hello Nigel,
I'm familiar with mrtg (now use prtg for easier setup http://www.paessler.com/prtg/?ref=PRTGcopy).
As far as i know it reports on an "interface" basis.

A secondary ip-adress is not a seperate interface, so i think it will be a problem to monitor this separately.
the adresses assigned to a vlan are different interfaces, that will be no problem.

much depends on the MIB's.
so if you got an older setup it maye be a good idea to verify you use recent mibs for procurve switches.

regards,
Pieter