cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procurve and Proliant Help - LACP, STP, VLAN, Redundancy, Failover, etc

Will Sauter
Occasional Advisor

Procurve and Proliant Help - LACP, STP, VLAN, Redundancy, Failover, etc

Our company is in the beginning stages of reworking out network layout to get us by for 18 months (new building in the plans). The network currently consists of a single switch in the core, with the servers unihomed on the single switch. Several edge switches are wired with a single copper cat5e strand to the core switch.

Design goals include a redundant core configuration with multiple paths to the edge switches. We are upgrading to gigabit at the desktop and require a nice fast and redundant backbone to the core.

Several VLANs will be broken out to segregate the warehouse and factory portions of the network from the office, server, and management subnets.

I am looking for a little informaiton regarding my proposed physical layout and the required procurve technologies which need to be employed to get where I need to be.

Questions are as follows.
1: Using HP Proliant Network teaming, I am able to plug one server into two switches. What config is neccessary to have failover and load balancing between the two switches and the "trunked/bonded" server NIC connection.

2: Can the trunks that run between the procurve switches provide both load balancing to multiple switches and redundancy using the same bonded pair? Or in my drawing, is Core/2 switch used ONLY as failover?

Any other information learned from experience which pertains to my siutation would be most helpful.

At this point, I beleive I need to use LACP or STP in some fashion. Further, I beleive that I am limited to Standard Proliant teaming in automatic failover mode (receive on both links, transmit on one), when homing the server on two switches. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help!
4 REPLIES
Will Sauter
Occasional Advisor

Re: Procurve and Proliant Help - LACP, STP, VLAN, Redundancy, Failover, etc

Attaching the attachment this time.

BTW, I would like to use Procurve 2848 and 2824 for both the edge and core switches.

Based on budget a 5308XL or equiv is not possible right now.

All inter switch links (backbone) connections are all Cat6 Copper. The distance between the North and South Wing wiring closets is only 40 feet. The Network Core location is about 30 feet to the north wing and 55 feet to the south wing.

Distance is not an issue as you can see.
Will Sauter
Occasional Advisor

Not sure why the attachment is not attaching...
Will Sauter
Occasional Advisor

It would seem that due to the use of VLANs, and due to the absence of XRRP because I'm using 2800 series in the core, I am not able to hit the true redundancy requirement. Is this correct?

GhostDog
Advisor

Yep, 28xx switches are not the ones you wanna see in a redundant core ;)