New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve manager unusable - CPU always stuck to 100%

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jayd
Advisor

Procurve manager unusable - CPU always stuck to 100%

Hi there,

This is a recurrent issue I've seen in many clients configurations. The server CPU is nearly always stuck to 100% by the process :

mysql-max-nt
trafficd
javaw

Currently I'm running PCM+ 2.322 managing 240 switches.

Any advice?
10 REPLIES 10
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Just to cover the first question support would ask you, does the system you're running this on meet the specs listed in this document?

http://www.hp.com/rnd/pdfs/datasheets/ProCurve_Manager_2.3.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Regards,

SVB
Jayd
Advisor

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the server we're using is strong enough and the issue shouldn't be here (this is the 2nd time that I see this issue on decent servers)

JD.
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

This is why I think java is the root of all evil. Or is not just javaw.exe taking up CPU cycles? Usually it's a java problem, although PCM uses a built-in java, other installed versions sometimes give problems.

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

you must make all java update on your server
cenk

Ulrich Keller
Advisor
Solution

Hi, we have had the same problems. Our solution was to decrease some of the values in the preferences.

For example:
- Max numbers of events
- Max number of syslog events per device,
- Maximum number of policy history entries

I hope this will help you

ulli
Jayd
Advisor

I think you got it! I've decreased some logs settings :

Max events : 5000
Policy history : 500
Syslog events : 100
Syslog trim : 60m

I've also disabled traffic monitoring which is a shame :( Do you think that I can have this feature running without impacting the system performances?

JD.
Ulrich Keller
Advisor

Hi JD,

I am glad about that i could give you the right hint.

What is your CPU Utilization now?

In some Situations Traffic Monitoring can be very useful, but on the other side, it is very "CPU Power consuming"
For our System we have enabled Traffic Monitoring, but leave all other "Taffic Monitoring settings "in Default Settings.
I think you have to make your own experiences, because this depends on the "traffic" in your network.

ulli
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Traffic monitoring will use significantly less CPU if you disable the sFlow collection aspect of it. It takes ~50x as much CPU to process sFlow data from one port as it does to poll statistics from the port.

So you could either disable sFlow monitoring across the whole topology in favor of statistics polling, or you could be selective about it and only keep sFlow enabled on what you deem critical ports while configuring all of the less important ports for statistics polling. You can do this by:

1. Selecting somewhere in the tree that has a Traffic tab, which will likely be driven by the scope over which you want to configure ports for statistics polling and/or sFlow.
2. Depending upon where you select in the tree and your intent, multi-selecting all of the ports shown in the Traffic tab or some subset upon which you wish to operate.
3. Once the desired ports are selected right-click on the "Cfg" column, choose the "Manual" submenu, and then choose "Manually enable statistics" to limit the selected ports to statistics polling only. For ports you want sFlow on choose "Manually enable sampling and statistics". If there are any ports you don't need data from at all then you can lop off some more CPU consumption with the "Manually disable sampling and statistics" choice here.

I hope this helps.

And for what it's worth, in PCM 3.x the sFlow scalability is much improved (up to 30k sFlow ports and 70k polled ports). You have the ability to collect data from more ports at the PCM server than in 2.x (3k sFlow, 7k polled), and if that's still not enough scalability you can offload some of the CPU workload to a separate "agent" system that does the raw collection and reports summarized data to the server. If you like the traffic application is might be worth considering an upgrade.

Regards,

SVB
Jayd
Advisor

Thank you for this valuable informations.

I've re-enable the traffic monitoring with a row table limits set to 1000 and all top rows set to 3.

My PCM+ station is now working smoothly.

Again, thanks to all of you.